mtbr member

Can you adjust pad to rotor distance with xt 785's?

I seem to get just a bit of brake rub while ridding my bike... Is there a way to adjust how far In or out the brake pads sit when the brake is not in use? Obviously the lever adjust doesnt do that -- and from what i have read the the free stoke adjust doesnt seem to do anything(plus im not sure really what that does-- even if it did work)..

So does anyone know how to have the pads a bit farther out from the rotor?
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is no external adjustment. Basically, this is a fixed volume system. Brake drag can be caused by many contributing factors, ie:
    Improper wheel seating in dropouts, loose skewer causing wheel to move during riding, warped rotor, stuck pistons, bad spreader spring, air in system, or too much fluid in the system.
    A bike shop has the tools and knowlege to diagnose and adjust the brakes. Otherwise you will need tools and embark on a learning curve to figure it all out. You may not want to take that risk with your brakes.

mtbr member
    Thanks Kevin... Thats a bummer there is no "distance to pad adjustment"... Seems like a cool feature to have on disk brakes.. My rotors are true-- maxel is tight-- hub cups are tight-- stiff rims-- tires have enough air.. Calipers are aligned ok... So i just dont know what could be causing the rubbing.. Though there isnt much rubbing at all-- i was just trying to get it so there is zero contact when brakes are not in use... I ordered up some shimano 180 adaptors and they should be here this week-- so will see if that helps.. Right now im using avids and though they work-- there seems to be a bit of funk going on lol.. Time will tell.. But at least knowing there is no "distance to pad contact adjustment" lets me know ill need to look elsewhere.. Thanks again
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Agreed

I agree that it's a bummer they don't have an external pad adjustment. It's the ONLY thing I've found that I don't like about them. Other than that though, I LOVE them. The best brakes I have ever ridden!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Make sure that your RD hanger is securely affixed to the dropout, I've seen that contribute to brake rub as the driveside hub cup wasn't clamped to a solid platform.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i fixed mine by spreading the brake pad spacers as far as they could go (about 35 degrees). then i eyeballed the caliper adjustment. i get zero rub, not even the tiniest wee little bit.