mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Can squeeze braked as hard as i can

Ok, so my cousins got a high end Nordic Track cross country bike from the 90's with mechanical disk brakes. It has not gotten much use until the last 6 years. The problem is the rear brake has lost most of it's stopping power. It will stop a spinning wheel off the ground no problem but when ridden the brakes wont even make the rear tire skid.no matter how hard the brake lever is pulled. The bike shop replaced the rear caliper and it yielded barely any improvement.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Bro Mountainbiker
    How do your brake pads look? Worn out? Is the stationary pad adjusted out enough to touch the rotor when applying the brakes? If both of those are okay then i would have to say contaminated pads or a short pull lever with a long pull(standard) brake.

Did the bike shop replace it without looking at the bike???
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

No good

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    How do your brake pads look? Worn out? Is the stationary pad adjusted out enough to touch the rotor when applying the brakes? If both of those are okay then i would have to say contaminated pads or a short pull lever with a long pull(standard) brake.

Did the bike shop replace it without looking at the bike???
    I havent seen the brake pads. Ill look at the pads when I get a chance. I would think they would be new(and uncontaminated) if the bike shop put a new caliper on.
    By the way the bike shop is Biker's Edge in Bristol, CT. Firstly, I brought the bike in for a tuneup and the guy made fun of the bike for its age "What's wrong with it other than its not used as a door mat." He said. I proceeded to tell him that the rear brake has no stopping power but appears to stop the wheel fine when spinning off the ground. We got the bike bike back with no change in the rear brake, like they didn't even try it riding it. Btw we had the rear tire changed also. The bike was brought back to fix what we asked for the first time. We got it back with a new caliper and no braking improvement. And now the rear tire they changed a few weeks ago is flat with no riding.