mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Can Marta SL's Hoses Be Cut w/o Bleeding After?

I want to trim my Marta SL hose and was wondering if I can get away without bleeding the line once its been disconnected from the lever. I've done this with Hope brakes w/o bleeding.

Anyone? Thanks
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    I was able to do it, although my rear brake feels a tad softer now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I just shortened both of mine without bleeding. No problems

Down South Yooper
    I've done it on the Louise's, no problems here either..

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Which End?

Which end of the hose did you cut?

mtbr member
    You should only cut the end that goes into the master / lever unit.

mtbr member
    I have two sets of Marta SL's, both needed hose trims. I followed the instructions to a tee, with perfect results both times. No bleeding necessary. Just familiarize yourself with the procedure beforehand, prepare all of your tools, materials and workplace, and it's actually quite a simple procedure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad
    I have two sets of Marta SL's, both needed hose trims. I followed the instructions to a tee, with perfect results both times. No bleeding necessary. Just familiarize yourself with the procedure beforehand, prepare all of your tools, materials and workplace, and it's actually quite a simple procedure.
    I'm looking at doing this same thing. Where can I score some instructions?
    Another quick question, can I simply swap in a shorter house from another Marta I have so I don't have to cut it? Do they just thread into the caliper and lever?

mtbr member
    You can download instructions from the Magura website. And you do need a new hose ferule for the procedure.

My guess is swapping out a hose would definitely require bleeding. By simply trimming a hose on a system that is fully charged with fluid and functioning properly from the start, the idea is that as long as you are careful and follow the instructions, you avoid introducing any air into the system. But if you replace a hose, you've definitely introduced air in the system and now have to bleed it out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can download instructions from the Magura website. And you do need a new hose ferule for the procedure.

My guess is swapping out a hose would definitely require bleeding. By simply trimming a hose on a system that is fully charged with fluid and functioning properly from the start, the idea is that as long as you are careful and follow the instructions, you avoid introducing any air into the system. But if you replace a hose, you've definitely introduced air in the system and now have to bleed it out.
    thanks, that's what I figured. I was forced to switch out my rear brake to one off another of my bikes mid race during a 12 hour event this past weekend. The hose on it is way too long. I have hose ferules with my bleed kit, I've just never installed them before, figured if I could just detach the other house it might be easier. I've become rather adept at bleeding these dang brakes so I was more looking for the simplest solution to shortening the hose.

thanks.

p.s. Can I cut the hose with a cable housing cutter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gcavy1
    p.s. Can I cut the hose with a cable housing cutter?
    I used a brand new utility knife blade to make sure I got a clean cut.

You mention bleeding your brakes a lot. How long have you had them? Just curious because I've had mine for over a year now and haven't noticed a need to bleed them yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I used a brand new utility knife blade to make sure I got a clean cut.

You mention bleeding your brakes a lot. How long have you had them? Just curious because I've had mine for over a year now and haven't noticed a need to bleed them yet.
    I've had them a bit over a year...but they were quite used I believe.
    I had to bleed the one every 3-4 rides b/c it had such a bad leak. (that's why I got so good at it.)

My one functioning set never seemed to have bite/power that they should though.