Retired at 39

Can I use my 165mm Hope Gothic 6 bolt ...

rotors with my Avid Mechanical 160mm Mtb disc brake calipers ... or am I better off buying the actual 160mm version rotor? I suppose the caliper could be shimmed (?), but if it means comprimising the ease of install, or the Avid CPS I'd rather purchase the 160's.
    FYI my Avid 160 rotors are spent, and I happen to have a set of the Hope IS 6 bolt 165's laying around. Thanx!

On MTBR hiatus :(

Just add 2.5mm spacers...

...underneath the CPS washer stack. That's exactly the approach Avid takes with its adapters for larger rotor sizes.

enjoying the kool-aid
    sorry to revive such an old thread...

BUT...

are you saying that the only difference between avid 160mm and say the 203mm is some shims and the larger rotor they ship with?

So theoretically one could upgrade their 160mm avids to 185 or 203 by just buying a larger rotor and shimming the assembly?

I hope so... I think I'm going to start with 160 but I'm afraid I might want to upgrade the front to 185 or 203... I'm not sure I need it though. I mainly ride XC and weigh about 200...

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    sorry to revive such an old thread...

BUT...

are you saying that the only difference between avid 160mm and say the 203mm is some shims and the larger rotor they ship with?

So theoretically one could upgrade their 160mm avids to 185 or 203 by just buying a larger rotor and shimming the assembly?

I hope so... I think I'm going to start with 160 but I'm afraid I might want to upgrade the front to 185 or 203... I'm not sure I need it though. I mainly ride XC and weigh about 200...
    Yeah, uh, that's pretty much all that's going on! I needed to get rid of my original 165mm rotor and get a 185 mounted and running before the Manitou adapters were available.

Here is a "proof of concept"...

...and then a "working prototype" to get by on...

...then finally after a few months of waiting, the final product from Avid...

The Avid calipers are the same, and 8 different adapters are available. The IS adapters are a bit different than the post mount adapter in the third photo, but the idea is the same.

The adapters are available on various websites (check Speedgoat & aebike), and your LBS can order them from the QBP catalog. Should cost you $10 or so, plus the rotor.