mtbr member
    Feb 2007

can I use a front caliper on the rear?

Hi, chain reaction cycles has their 2006 magura marta front brakes on sale for a good price, unfortunately the rear is not very well priced. would I be able to simply lengthen the hose on the front brake IS mount an put it on the rear? or Do I need a rear specific caliper, the rear caliper seems to have a longer arm on it.

Thanks

I love Pisgah
    Yes, but you'd have to use a 140mm rear rotor(which I do on all my disc bikes) as your correct that the rear is a longer(taller) arm setup.

ie.If one gets 2 fronts of any brake I know of=160/140mm setup.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 190 lbs and ride mainly XC would you recommend a 140 mm rotor in the rear, it'll be a magura marta setup. where do you get your 140mm rotors?
    Last edited by timms; 01-31-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Meh.
    As mentioned, a front caliper bolted on the rear would result in the need for a 20mm smaller rotor. I would not recommend a 140mm rotor for you. You could also fit a +20mm adapter to the caliper to run a 160mm in the rear. All of this stuff can be ordered through your LBS easily. Hayes, Avid, Hope, Alligator, Tektro, etc all have 140mm rotors. There are also plenty of adapters floating around.
    Last edited by XSL_WiLL; 01-31-2008 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm just going to avoid the hack job, I'll just bide my time and wait for the right setup.

I-S
    Magurified
    I use an A2Z +20mm (disc size) adaptor with a louise front caliper on the back of my singlespeed for 160mm disc. I use the rear caliper on the front (for 180mm without an adaptor). There's no problem at all with doing this.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    you would also have an upside down master cylinder and lever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just to bring this thread back.

I've got a couple of spare shimano adapters to sell. Is it correct to advertise them as:

'shimano disc brake IS mount Front 160 / Rear 140' and ' shimano disc brake IS front 180 / rear 160' ?

I've not looked, but apart from the mounting adapter (for IS ones), are the front and rear calipers exactly the same?

Thanks.

-Chris