mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Can I use Castrol car brake fluid for my Juicy Sevens?

Hi,

Juicy Sevens say they take DOT 5.1 or 4 brake fluid and I have some Castrol GT LMA brake fluid I picked up at Napa a couple years ago that says it "exceeds DOT 3 and DOT 4 specs" (the LMA apparently is an acronym for Low Moisture Activity that protects against vapor lock).

Am I OK to use this for my Juicys or should I wait until tomorrow and pick up some Avid DOT 5.1 brake fluid at the local bike shop?

Thanks!

LDH
    mtbr member
    yes

TNC
    noMAD man
    I used Valvoline synthetic DOT 4 in one of my Avid Elixir brakes when doing a hose mod, and the brake worked just as well as the one with 5.1. Good DOT 4 and Avid's 5.1 must be awfully close in characteristics.

Dirt Deviant
    Has the container been opened?
    If so I would just get a fresh bottle of 5.1.
    DOT fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture.
    Once the container has been opened, I think they usually recomend to use it up within 6 months to a year. Something like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Has the container been opened?
    If so I would just get a fresh bottle of 5.1.
    DOT fluid is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture.
    Once the container has been opened, I think they usually recomend to use it up within 6 months to a year. Something like that.
    Exactly what I' was thinking. If the bottle has been opened up for a a while I wouldn't use it. Personally if I don't use up the fluid with in 2 months I get a new bottle.

Castrol will work fine, people have their preferences but most will agree that you don't have to use Avid fluid. Synthetic fluid has its advantages but you'd probably have to be on the limits of the brake to feel it over normal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I just saw LDH's go ahead post and used what I had. Yes, it'd been opened but it seems OK (for now). I'll try it this weekend and maybe re-bleed w/ a new bottle if need be.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I love this guy with over 4 billion posts..........

You will probably be fine with using opened fluid unless you are on long, fast downhills. Your brakes can get really hot then. If you are, I would replace the fluid. You need your brakes always working. Going into a tree because you couldnt slow fast enough is going to cost you more than a bottle of brake fluid.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I love this guy with over 4 billion posts..........
    Total Posts: 4,294,967,295 (22,572,747.21 posts per day)