mtbr member

Can I put a 185mm rotor on this fork?

My fork is a Skareb Elite (100mm travel)... I want to put a 185mm Avid Mech in front, but the Manitou customer service rep. said that the Skareb isn't 185-capable. Damn... I really want the extra stopping power. I weigh 205 + gear.... and ride mostly XC/trail, a lot of up and down hills. Is the Manitou guy being too cautious?

mtbr member
    I could be wrong but I don't think it's Manitou being cautious. I think the problem is that a rotor that size physically won't fit. An XC fork might also be a tad too flexy with all that stopping power.

Freshly Fujified
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    My fork is a Skareb Elite (100mm travel)... I want to put a 185mm Avid Mech in front, but the Manitou customer service rep. said that the Skareb isn't 185-capable. Damn... I really want the extra stopping power. I weigh 205 + gear.... and ride mostly XC/trail, a lot of up and down hills. Is the Manitou guy being too cautious?
    I had a similar question regarding my Marzocchi EXR Pro. I believe the issue here would be the 28.6 mm stanchions on the Skareb. Most people said that the 185mm rotors were OK on my EXR's 30mm stanchions, but that manufacturers still recommended 165mm rotors.

I hope this helps.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Bad Hand In Life

You can do it...

I just got done installing 185 avids on my manitou black. You will need to get an adapter to fit the avids to the 71mm manitou type disc bosses. One option is to go to pricepoint.com, Delta Aztec has the adapters for $14 to do this. Or, just go to a bike shop and tell them you need a adapter to fit avid 185mm discs to a manitou fork disc bosses. Quick fix and your on your way, and I believe the scareb should hold up.