more beers, lees gears.

Can I mix rotor brands and Calipers (Specificly Avid bb5 caliper w/ shimano rotor)

So I got a smoking deal on some mavic rims. I was under the impression they where IS 6 bolt. But they are Centerlocks. Great XT hub & Mavic rim. But I run Avid BB5's on the bike I wanted these for.

Can I just buy some new 160 mm rotors (same as my avids), and have everything work? Or will I have to buy the adapters?

Anyone used the Center lock > 6 bolt adapters? I worry about strength compromise.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    So I got a smoking deal on some mavic rims. I was under the impression they where IS 6 bolt. But they are Centerlocks. Great XT hub & Mavic rim. But I run Avid BB5's on the bike I wanted these for.

Can I just buy some new 160 mm rotors (same as my avids), and have everything work? Or will I have to buy the adapters?

Anyone used the Center lock > 6 bolt adapters? I worry about strength compromise.
    Shimano rotors have a narrower braking track, so no.

Get the DT Swiss adaptors, they work well.

(never seen rims with rotor mounts. Hubs on the other hand...)
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Meh.
    Definitely go with the adapter.

Shiggy has already covered it. Since the Shimano rotors have a narrower blade, the Avid pads will ride on the rotor "arms." This will lead to uneven pad wear among other issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Since the Shimano rotors have a narrower blade, the Avid pads will ride on the rotor "arms." This will lead to uneven pad wear among other issues.
    While what you and Shiggy said may be true, I ran my BB7s with Shimano XT rotors for over a season, before I switched to hydro brakes, and had absolutely no problems. Got a wheelset with XT rotors on it, and since they were the same size, decided to give it a go before swaping them for the Avids from the old wheels. No issues whatsover.
    Now, I'm not saying that the brake track surface is not narrower, I just never had a reason to notice that, because the brakes behaved and sounded (i'e. no sound) perfectly. So I never had a reason to investigate closer. Pad life didn't seem to be affected either, as I ran that set up for the whole season, and the brakes were still performing fine when I switched to Martas.
    Having said that, if the original poster doesn't already have the Shimano rotors to try them out, it may be a safer way to get the adapters and use his Avid ones.

Arek

more beers, lees gears.
    Yeah, I dont have rotors yet. The rotors are the same price as the adapters. I was mainly worried about the adapter being weak, or risk of failure. So I was weighing my options.

thanks for your help. I will probably go with the adapters to be safe.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Yeah, I dont have rotors yet. The rotors are the same price as the adapters. I was mainly worried about the adapter being weak, or risk of failure. So I was weighing my options.

thanks for your help. I will probably go with the adapters to be safe.
    There are cheaper alternatives to the DT adaptors, but they are the best I have seen so far (reliable and failry light).
    Magura, Problem Solvers and , now, Shimano, offer the adapters too. (though the Shimano one may not be available yet, I just saw it announced on a german mag)

Edit: here's a pic of the Shimano adapter

Last edited by crisillo; 03-03-2007 at 07:46 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    There are cheaper alternatives to the DT adaptors, but they are the best I have seen so far (reliable and failry light).
    Magura, Problem Solvers and , now, Shimano, offer the adapters too. (though the Shimano one may not be available yet, I just saw it announced on a german mag)
    The Magura is designed specifically for their rotors. it is "lobed" to fit the shape of the middle opening in the rotor. May not work with other brands.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The Magura is designed specifically for their rotors. it is "lobed" to fit the shape of the middle opening in the rotor. May not work with other brands.
    Nice to know, shiggy.... I had no idea..

Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    I'm running Shimano rotors on my Avid Juicy 5 brakes, and they work fine. In fact they work much better than the squealing Juicy 5 rotors. I switched because I switched to wheels with centerlock hubs. I've had no problems with the shimano rotors, while with the avid rotors it came with the brakes squealed/vibrated so bad I thought the bike would fall apart.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Music & Bikes
    Same subject , different ingredient :
    I use a pair of BB5 on a bike with a pair of Hope monomini disks.
    The Hopes are narrower than the Avids but the breaking is better , go figure!

Maybe not the ideal , but so far so good !
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Meh.
    Given enough time, you'll see the issues.

Even though a lot of the problems with Avids comes down to set up error, those polygon rotors were trash.

Bite Me.
    I'm curious what the issues are - I run XTR centerlock rotors on BB7 calipers (got a good deal on an XTR wheelset with rotors and just swapped them out for my other wheels). You can see from the wear marks where the pads are contacting the very end portion of the rotor arms due to the narrower Shimano rotor rim, but why is that a problem? The outer diameter of the Avid and the Shimano rotors is the same, so the caliper pad still contacts the entire rotor (not like the problem you might get with shims where the upper portion of the pad would not wear down with the rest of the pad). Seems like the rotor arms will still provide a braking surface to wear the pads evenly. Just curious, because my set up seems to be running fine after one season (maybe 2,500 miles on that bike). Why is a little contact on the rotor arms a bad thing?
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I'm curious what the issues are - I run XTR centerlock rotors on BB7 calipers (got a good deal on an XTR wheelset with rotors and just swapped them out for my other wheels). You can see from the wear marks where the pads are contacting the very end portion of the rotor arms due to the narrower Shimano rotor rim, but why is that a problem? The outer diameter of the Avid and the Shimano rotors is the same, so the caliper pad still contacts the entire rotor (not like the problem you might get with shims where the upper portion of the pad would not wear down with the rest of the pad). Seems like the rotor arms will still provide a braking surface to wear the pads evenly. Just curious, because my set up seems to be running fine after one season (maybe 2,500 miles on that bike). Why is a little contact on the rotor arms a bad thing?
    A little contact may not cause problems, but usually as the pad touches the rotor "spokes" you could feel a shudder on the brakes...or a squeal... it doesn't always happen... but it is likely..

more beers, lees gears.
    So are there any knock off center lock rotors out yet?

I am still up in the air. I may just keep my eye out for a full XT brake set up.

So are there any knock off center lock rotors out yet?

I am still up in the air. I may just keep my eye out for a full XT brake set up.
    Not exactly a knock off...but Magura makes the Ventidisc in centerlock too... not sure if the rotors have enough clearance in other brands besides Maggies though...

Meh.
    Galfer might have centerlock issues soon.

The pads are not constantly contacting the arms, they wear at a different rate. Thus, uneven wear.

All rotors of the same size should have the same outside diameter regardless of brand (or close due to manufacturing tolerances).