mtbr member
    May 2009

can I install rear disc on 99 Raleigh M40? Pic of frame attached

I have 99 Raleigh M40 that I bought in 99 and never really used, I got back into biking and decided I could use some decent brakes after I went into some mud this past weekend couldn't stop after wards. I'm looking for information on what these 2 holes I have in my frame and if I can use them with some adapter to mount the calipers. I understand I will need new wheels that support the hubs but I just want to know if I can use this frame for disc brakes or not.
    Attached in the picture of the frame.

Thanks everyone for your help. I also read about brake therapy but would want to avoid that if possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rub it............
    You will need Brake Therapy to install disc brakes on your bike. Your frame is not equipped with the required tabs.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The a2z DM-UNI disc adapter will also work:

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/ada.htm

However, unless the bike is your dream bike or it is of a high sentimental value or you have more money than sense, then I would not recommend the upgrade.

It is a false economy to ugrade a low end bike. Just ride your bike until it breaks, save up money in the mean time, and buy a new one that is disc equipped when it does.

Why not just change out the brake pads to Koolstops and fit v-brake boosters instead?

This costs peanuts in comparison to what you're thinking of doing.

Rub it............
    A2Z doesn't make that adapter anymore. He is going to have to find either one used or on Ebay.

ol' dusty lungs
    Those are holes for racks and fenders, not calipers. Set your canti's or v's up properly and you should have no problem braking in mud or wet. Save the money you would spend on discs and an adapter for a newer bike. Also, you may want to straighten your tube before the valve stem shears off. And uh.. why does your QR say "open"? Is that thing on there correctly?

Former Bike Wrench
    Buy a Sette Reken frame...it will be cheaper than a brake therapy adapter and a better frame than a M40

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks everyone for your help, it really means a lot. I'm glad I found this forum, everyone seems so friendly.
    I just want to answer a few questions:
    1. I really have no reason to keep this bike, it is just here and barely was ever used, I figured if I can add disc, I'd like to, if not then I'm not going to bother with those adapters.
    2. to: the sloth: QR says open but it's on correctly, not sure why it says that.

Can someone suggest a bike for me? Here is what I'm looking for:
    1. a bike that I can use on the road/park and some easy-medium trails.
    2. full suspension
    3. disc brakes all around
    4. aluminum

Of course price is a big factor, I don't want to end up with a cheap frame, it's okay if in the future I'll upgrade some parts but I'd like a frame that will stay with me for some time.

Thanks,
    Vadim

Dirt Deviant
    The quick release is open.
    Better get that fixed up asap.just need to loosen the nut on the other side, then flip the lever till it says close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimr
    thanks everyone for your help, it really means a lot. I'm glad I found this forum, everyone seems so friendly.
    I just want to answer a few questions:
    1. I really have no reason to keep this bike, it is just here and barely was ever used, I figured if I can add disc, I'd like to, if not then I'm not going to bother with those adapters.
    2. to: the sloth: QR says open but it's on correctly, not sure why it says that.

Can someone suggest a bike for me? Here is what I'm looking for:
    1. a bike that I can use on the road/park and some easy-medium trails.
    2. full suspension
    3. disc brakes all around
    4. aluminum

Of course price is a big factor, I don't want to end up with a cheap frame, it's okay if in the future I'll upgrade some parts but I'd like a frame that will stay with me for some time.

Thanks,
    Vadim
    First off, do some searching. "What bike should I get" is probably the most frequently asked question around here. If you still can't find your answer then post your question and list of requirements in a more appropriate forum than the brake forum, where you'll probably get more responses. Try the beginner's forum maybe.

Now for my two cents: For the type of riding you list I would go with a hardtail. You say that price is a factor, which doesn't usually go hand in hand with full suspension bikes. Getting a low end FS is asking for trouble, when you could have a really nice HT instead.