mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Can I cut metallic XT hose?

I changed my bike, and now the hydraulic hose is too long. Have any of you cut the metallic hose? It is possible to reassemble the ends? It looks like a tipical compression nut, but I prefer to check previous experience before making experiments. Otherwise, I'll just continue with a extra long hose.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yep....

I used shimano canle cutters to cut some goodridge hoses. A (junior) hacksaw would do the job as well(if sharp).

Why not try cutting an inch off first just to ensure it works ok ;-)

Bon Chance

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

doh! ....Shimano CABLE Cutters!

....must learn to type!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good No

The ends on Shimano's stainless braided hose are crimped on (at least mine are), so unless you have the proper crimper and a new crimp collar you're out of luck. I'm sure you could take it to a hydraulic shop and they could do it, but you'd be better off just buying a new hose.

Corky3, how do you like the Goodridge hoses?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Goodridge hoses

... are ace...... bit of a fiddle in fitting, you need to remove 11mm of cover(not 1 mm more, not 1 mm less) to get the end furrel to fit properly. But all components are very well made and superior in looks at lease than the originals they replace.

Performance..... definately reduces the sponginess rear brakes inherently have due to the loneger hose length.

Buy 'em if you can afford 'em :-)

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Oh man, I just went thorough this, so hopefully I can spare you some effort.

FIrst off, shimano changed all their fittings sizes at some point. I bought a newer deore hydro hose, and it didn't work on my older deore XT disc brake. It looks like they changed their fittings in 2003?

If you have the black, plastic coated line, that is cuttable and uses standard compression fittings. You can cut it and re-use all the pieces- although they recomend replacing the olives and o-rings if you can find them. If you have the older, braided steel line then it it NOT cuttable, and the newer cuttable lines may not fit. This was the case for me.
    I was able to get the newer, cuttable hose to work by replacing all the fittings with ones made by Jaguar.

Anyway I hope that helps. I got my fittings from greggs greenlake cycle in Seattle, Wa.
    You could call there and ask for service. Perhaps www.go-ride.com may also have them.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MNMN
    I changed my bike, and now the hydraulic hose is too long. Have any of you cut the metallic hose? It is possible to reassemble the ends? It looks like a tipical compression nut, but I prefer to check previous experience before making experiments. Otherwise, I'll just continue with a extra long hose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you have caliper 755 and lever 755 you want hose BH61.
    Info from JensonUSA.