mtbr member

Can I change rotors on hayes?

I have the standard 6" rotor on my Hayes and am getting some brake fade on longer descents. I weigh 190 and ride a Blur.

I'm sure I can go to an 8" Hayes - but that seems huge. Can I get a 185mm from someone else and is there some adapter to help??

Thanks!

On MTBR hiatus :(
    You bet. Avid adatpers are interchangable with Hayes, so you can get your hands on an Avid 185 kit that includes and adapter and rotor and you'll have everything you need.

I don't know what type of fork you ride but just be aware that a Manitou will require a 74mm post mount adapter, while all of the others will use the conventional 51mm IS adapter.

mtbr member
    Very cool - thanks for the answer!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

good move?

I've got the same disappointing problem... I'm going to test a "wave" rotor on next w/e.
    I hope it could clear everything... I'll report you the experience.

PS- look at www.braking.it

bye, _g

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspare
    PS- look at www.braking.it
    At current, Braking brand is a special order item in the US market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    You bet. Avid adatpers are interchangable with Hayes, so you can get your hands on an Avid 185 kit that includes and adapter and rotor and you'll have everything you need.

Can't use the Avid 7" bracket with a Hayes G1 (don't know about the G2) hydro caliper- the caliper will hit the bracket before the caliper bolts are tight. Just tried this setup tonight with high hopes of getting a nice balance between power and modulation. Everything was going well till I mounted the caliper- the caliper became "tight" in the mount with the mounting bolts 3mm off the caliper mounting flanges- upon closer inspection the caliper was hitting the mount in a couple of spots.

So does anyone know who makes an IS mount for the Hayes that will allow a 185mm rotor? Tried discbrakeadapters.com, but nothing there that will work.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    Can't use the Avid 7" bracket with a Hayes G1 (don't know about the G2) hydro caliper- the caliper will hit the bracket before the caliper bolts are tight. Just tried this setup tonight with high hopes of getting a nice balance between power and modulation. Everything was going well till I mounted the caliper- the caliper became "tight" in the mount with the mounting bolts 3mm off the caliper mounting flanges- upon closer inspection the caliper was hitting the mount in a couple of spots.

So does anyone know who makes an IS mount for the Hayes that will allow a 185mm rotor? Tried discbrakeadapters.com, but nothing there that will work.

http://www.cambriabike.com/brakes/ha...e_adapters.htm

i'm sure they have one that will fit

That's unfortunate. Do you happen to know how old the adapter is? My understanding is the initial adapters were built with the version 1 calipers in mind (which were designed around a 165mm rotor), and required 2.5mm spacer washers under the version 2 calipers (designed around 160mm rotors) to work properly with a 185mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's unfortunate. Do you happen to know how old the adapter is?
    The 7" mount in current production this year. The Hayes caliper is about 4 yrs old. The problem is the profile of the Avid mount- it is much thicker where it mounts to the fork whereas a Hayes mount has a "flat" profile where it mounts to the fork. My latest brain storm is to see if a machinist friend can modify an 8" Hayes mount to the specs needed for a 7" mount.

The 7" mount in current production this year. The Hayes caliper is about 4 yrs old. The problem is the profile of the Avid mount- it is much thicker where it mounts to the fork whereas a Hayes mount has a "flat" profile where it mounts to the fork. My latest brain storm is to see if a machinist friend can modify an 8" Hayes mount to the specs needed for a 7" mount.
    Hmmm... Is it a standard 51mm adapter? Or their 74mm Manitou adapter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm... Is it a standard 51mm adapter? Or their 74mm Manitou adapter?
    It is the standard adapater to convert the IS 51mm to the 74mm post mount that the Hayes caliper requires.

Here is a pic of a Hayes 6" adapter:

Notice how thin the adapter is between the 51mm mounting holes. The Avid adapter is thicker in this region and does not step down as much as the Hayes adapter.