mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Can anyone compare Juicy Sevens and XT's?

I'm torn on the next brakes to buy. Has anyone ridden juicy sevens and the new 775 XT's? How do they compare to each other? I've met people on the trail with the xt's but they haven't ridden with the juicy's to compare them.
    Thanks for your help!

If this has been discussed before please forgive me, I haven't been able to find it.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have XTs M775 (180/160) on my HT and Juicy 7s (185/185) on my FS bike.
    Personally, I find that the J7s are slightly more powerful than the XTs but they don't have anywhere near the modulation of the XTs.
    I find it easier to stop with the XTs than with the J7s - the juicys are too "grabby" or on/off and it's not confidence inspiring. In the conditions that I ride in, 13 months of the year spent under water, I find that the stock pads for the J7s are poor and wear too easily (metal) compared to the stock XTs (metal). Pad prices for XTs are cheaper where I am.
    I haven't had any of the turkey gobble problems with the J7s but they haven't been abused as much as the XTs. The XTs have never given an ounce of trouble apart from a first bleed.
    I had to bleed the rear J7 as there was air in it and it was very spongy and since then the lever feel is better but not the same as the XTs.
    Overall, I prefer the XTs. I'm getting rid of my J7s as I'm not confident with them and replacing them with Magura Louise BATs.

Off the back...
    I'd agree with DGB that the XT has more modulation. Bonus - no turkey gobble noise!

mtbr member
    Another plus on the XT, I have ridden the Juicy ultimate and Juicy carbon which are the same as the J7 except they are lighter. I personally own the XT on my bikes, but I do have to say the XT modulates much better and feels stronger because of that. The J7 in reality has just a bit more power I would say but the lack of modulation just makes it slightly more difficult to slow down smoothly and transition. Also XT dont have issues with sounds and looks better from my eye.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    If I could trade my Juicy 7s for XTs, I would (assuming my hubs were compatible wit hthe XT rotors). Nothing REALLY wrong with the J7's, they just seem ... lackluster all around.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am going to replace my J5 to XT. My experience on XT is limited to "forum" only.
    Tired to the famous noise of J5 at rear. I believe the design concept of CPS is excellent. However, can it be set 100% perfect in alignment?
    In my experience, even if the CPS bolts are fully tightened (by feel only, no torgue measured), the CPS move relatively to each others after braking in say 3 days ride. The CPS are "hemispher" in shape. By simple physics, what will happen if the applied force exceed the frictional resistance. I find it is very difficult to have the caliper be in perfect line with the rotor, potentially causing resonance.
    The above is rough guess / feel only. No test / experiment / evidence / support can be provided. Hope it will not attract attacks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Okay, I got some XT's and they rock so far. Like people have noted they don't have as much power as J7's but they have better modulation. As soon as I put them on my braking was SILENT- finally! I like them a lot, I wish I'd done this before. Thanks for the help everyone!

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    If I could trade my Juicy 7s for XTs, I would (assuming my hubs were compatible wit hthe XT rotors).
    You can get 6-bolt Shimano XT rotors, you don't have to use centrelock rotors and hubs - your hubs should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by NogaroHeli
    Okay, I got some XT's and they rock so far. Like people have noted they don't have as much power as J7's but they have better modulation. As soon as I put them on my braking was SILENT- finally! I like them a lot, I wish I'd done this before.
    Good luck with them. They seem to get better as the pads/rotors wear in a bit. As people have said here the J7s may be more powerful but you just can't use all that power as the modulation is lacking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    If I could trade my Juicy 7s for XTs, I would (assuming my hubs were compatible wit hthe XT rotors). Nothing REALLY wrong with the J7's, they just seem ... lackluster all around.
    I think you can, I am still using my Avid 185 rrotors and it's working just fine. Do people say you need to use Avid calipers with Avid rotors or Shimano calipers with Shimano rotors? Maybe I'm going against the flow but it's working fine for me so far- hopefully it continues to do so...

My other ride is your mom
    it seems like the OP's question has been answered, but I will pile on with a modification. Long time J7 owner...loved them....got a new bike with SLX...not XT......I now love my SLX and find the problems with the J7's to be annoying:
    1) J7's require a lot of adjustment to the mounting Hardware for the calipers....rotor rub a problem every 50 miles or so.
    2) J7's are more prone to noise in my experience....and yes, I know how to keep it all clean.
    3) SLX (and XT from what I hear) have much more modulation vs. J7....the extra power on J7 is not needed for a lightweight rider such as myself. If I were 200lbs...I might feel differently, but I'm 155 geared up....nuff said
    4) SLX (and XT from what I hear) don't suffer from brake fade on long descents....J7 does. I even ran one of the longest downhills in the state on my SLX's and no fade whatsoever....the J7's would have required reach adjustment due to significant fade.