mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Can antone recommend any good Hydraulic Brakes?

Hi

I am a new MB'er having just bought a GT Avalanche 2.0 and am looking to experience mild trails, and gentle off road riding. I currently have cable disk brakes, and want to upgrade to hydraulic ones. Reading reviews on this site, it seems that all have good and bad points, so wanted to see if there were any make/models that people would recommend? I am not looking to pay a fortune for them, as I will not be throwing myself off Everest in the near future. I just want something around the 80-150 mark that will work, be easy to maintain, easy to adjust, and above all be reliable.

Any help is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've had a great experience with Shimano 595 hydros. Much happier than the Elixir Rs I had.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The cable discs on that bike can be tuned to be quite acceptable. I'd recommend that you google up some tuning videos, dial them in and ride them for a while before you decide to go with hydros. You'll be much more informed about what you do and do not like about your cable brakes and what you're hoping to get out of hydro brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trboxman
    The cable discs on that bike can be tuned to be quite acceptable.
    A quick rule of thumb I found while tuning my BB7s was that the closer the non-moving pad is to the rotor, the stronger and faster biting my brakes would feel. If I wanted more modulation I'd move the fixed pad farther out from the rotor.

Master of Disaster
    M665 for $100 each....done.

Shimano SLX M665 Disc Brake w/ Adapters & Rotor - $99.98
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ers__Rotor.htm