Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,749

    Came to this forum looking to move from BB7

    to hydro's. Just toying with the idea, for kicks. No idea what some good hydro's are I was looking for some opinions. Scrolled thru the forum... damn there are a lot of people with a LOT of hydro issues. All different set-ups too.

    I don't think that I've had to ask a Q about my brakes since I installed them a few years back.

    Nuff said. No hydro's for me.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8valvegrowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    254
    Like anything, setting it up correctly and maintaining the system will prevent a lot of issues.

    I like BB7's for their simplicity, but the Hayes Strokers on my Kona far outperform any mechanical system I've used in terms of:

    Weight
    Modulation
    Stopping power

    I bleed the system as often as I did cables on my mech setup. No biggie and takes about the same amount of time. I have had zero issues with the Stroker system and several of my friends/riding buddies have had zero issues as well.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl
    Like anything, setting it up correctly and maintaining the system will prevent a lot of issues.
    This was more to my point. A monkey can set up a BB7's properly.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    792
    I want my 30 seconds back after reading this thread.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8valvegrowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    254
    Same for the Strokers.

    Literally:
    1) Bolt the caliper to the fork
    2) Bolt the lever to the bar,
    3) Slacken the caliper banjo slightly to run the hose in natural way, then tighten
    4) Slacken the caliper bolts.
    5) Install front wheel/rotor, squeeze lever, tighten caliper bolts.
    6) Repeat for rear, go for a ride.

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,857
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    to hydro's. Just toying with the idea, for kicks. No idea what some good hydro's are I was looking for some opinions. Scrolled thru the forum... damn there are a lot of people with a LOT of hydro issues. All different set-ups too.

    I don't think that I've had to ask a Q about my brakes since I installed them a few years back.

    Nuff said. No hydro's for me.
    Rarely does praise of perfectly functioning systems get posted. It is always the problems that get discussed because you do not need help to fix a functioning brake.

    Most of the brakes on the market work well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,749
    any reco's shiggy? any reason to move from my BB7's? a little extra stopping power would be nice b/c I'm pushing 220 lb geared up.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,857
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    any reco's shiggy? any reason to move from my BB7's? a little extra stopping power would be nice b/c I'm pushing 220 lb geared up.
    I use BB7s.

    Get bigger rotors and EBC Gold pads.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,863
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I use BB7s.

    Get bigger rotors and EBC Gold pads.
    I agree, if weight is not as much of an issue, 185 rotors, speed dial levers and above mentioned pads. Also, make sure you are using the the G3 rotors (or at minimun G2 rotors). If you have round garden rotors, that's your first problem.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I use BB7s.

    Get bigger rotors and EBC Gold pads.
    What shiggy said.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k1lluaA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    332
    i agree with 8valve, i have strokers and i love them...they feel way better than mech discs, and ive had them for two years now and havent had to bleed them yet...(im going to do it this winter just for good practice)...they run really clean, they have awesome power, and i feel like i have alot more control over my speed than with cable acctuated brakes both discs and vees....

    and my dog could probably have put my brakes on my bike, its just like valve said, put lever on bars, run the line, install the disc and aallign calliper...done..get some semi metal pads and your laughing
    2008 Kona Caldera

    "Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,749
    thanks for the replies. I'm running speed dials,185's, G2 and G3 on two bikes. I'm still running stock pads. maybe i'll swap those out first.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    163
    Only reason I could think of to change to something more expensive and higher maintenance is lighter weight. I'm running 185mm G2 BB7s and I'm 250#. Modulation has good resolution imho, and the power will send me over the bars if I grab a big handful.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,123
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    This was more to my point. A monkey can set up a BB7's properly.
    search a little. the huge majority of bb7 threads are setup threads! if they were so easy, you wouldnt have a boatload of treads about how to get the damn things to work properly. claiming any monkey can do it is just silly considering the sheer volume of people requiring help.

    theres a lot of hydro issues because 100:1 people use hydros vs bb7's.

    i have 08 strokers that ive never even bled. never turned a goofy knob on them, never had to mess with cps washers, never worried about inboard versus outboard pad alignment.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: One Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,123
    Quote Originally Posted by h82crash
    Only reason I could think of to change to something more expensive and higher maintenance is lighter weight. .
    hydros are lower maintenance! you change the fluid once every year or two and thats it. bb7's need constant adjustment for wear. its just a click or two in, which is nothing.. but so is hydros. the maint issue is a red herring. if you know what you're doing, honestly neither require much on your part at all.

    but if you insist, hydros are self adjusting, self compensating for wear, *most* (avid hydro excluded) dont require special alignment. you just ride them.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    792
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    search a little. the huge majority of bb7 threads are setup threads! if they were so easy, you wouldnt have a boatload of treads about how to get the damn things to work properly. claiming any monkey can do it is just silly considering the sheer volume of people requiring help.

    .
    Yep. My girlfriend's bike used to have bb7s on it. During one 10 mile loop, I'd have to adjust the pads at least once. I put mono mini pros on my bike in '07 and haven't touched them since.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •