mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Calling all Hayes experts - HFX9 Help??

I'm hoping one of you gurus can help with this Hayes HFX 9 problem. Over the last few rides, I noticed that my rear brake was feeling a bit spongy. No biggie, I figured it just needed to be bled. I've only had the brakes for 4 months. Anyhow, yesterday, I pretty much lost all power. The lever feels fine until the pads engage the rotor, then it gets spongy and goes right to the handlebars, slowed me a little, but no stopping power at all. The reach is still fine btw.

So, I took it in to the LBS and we bled it. There did not appear to be any air in the line when we did. So, after a nice fresh bleed, pulled the lever and same problem. The pistons are indeed moving, but as soon as they engage the rotor, they stop and the lever keeps moving. So, we bled, rebuilt the master cylinder, filled 'er up and said a little prayer. Then we pulled the lever and ARGH same thing. So, just for giggles, we bled them again, tapping the hell out of the line thinking maybe there was some little air pocket in there somewhere. And....nothing, still no power and lever going right to handlebars. There is absolutely no fluid leaking anywhere, and when we bled...all 3 times, there didn't seem to be any air in with the fluid.

Now, we're at a loss. The guys from the LBS are going to contact Hayes, but I was hoping someone might have experienced this and might be able to offer some suggestions, to get my brakes up and running ASAP. The LBS has a full selection of spare parts. I guess the good news is that they are still under warranty either way.

The fact that we bled and rebuilt the master cylinder with a brand new rebuild kit, leads me to wonder if it is in the piston end rather then the lever/master cylinder end.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

same problem

hey i had the same problem ,first after the bike set for a week they were completely dead. sent to shop and they ordered a new cable housing. got it back and after about an hour brakes started to fade. then the same problem you ad some break but sponge. took back to shop they found a crack in the resevior cap and ordered parts . a week later they told me they would feel better just replacing the whole system with a more reliable one. not sure wat is going on but something about hayes changing there brake system or something . I have a new reign 2 and spent alot of money to be having stupid problems like that

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtazzy
    hey i had the same problem ,first after the bike set for a week they were completely dead. sent to shop and they ordered a new cable housing. got it back and after about an hour brakes started to fade. then the same problem you ad some break but sponge. took back to shop they found a crack in the resevior cap and ordered parts . a week later they told me they would feel better just replacing the whole system with a more reliable one. not sure wat is going on but something about hayes changing there brake system or something . I have a new reign 2 and spent alot of money to be having stupid problems like that
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a new Reign 2 as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Max99
    Thanks for the feedback. I have a new Reign 2 as well.
    no problem buddy i realized you had the reign after i looked who posted the first time . have seen ya post before. the bike store told me somthin about price point and getting cheaper parts on the bike. hell i think we paid enough for them without getting cheap parts lol

but who knows were not salesman , I think they opted to replace them with shimanos said they were more relaible. i almost had them put avid mechanicals on . I hope I didn't choose wrong. my avids on my fsr were perfect

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    your master cylinder is toast. The seals get gouges in them from moving back and forth in the master cylinder. Not sure why, but it happens. What I did: tossed the POS HFX9s and got Hayes Mag brakes. Or, you could get a new lever or master cylinder assembly. Too much of a pain though.
    Last edited by MD Bullit; 05-08-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    pay me

Authority is dead!
    I just fixed my bud's who had a hole in the seal (master cylinder) that surrounds main piston.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]