ultra member

Calling All 2009/10 Hope Tech X2 Owners

I am heavily considering the new Hope Tech X2's for my bike, but am a little worried about what the power will be like with two 160mm rotors.(I will not go any bigger than 160mm) I have read wonderful things about the modulation and adjustability, but have yet to find an in depth review on their power. If someone who actually owns the brakes could give me a heads up on what to expect, that would be fantastic. I weigh about 155lbs if that helps. And by the way, I have already read every single post regarding these brakes about 5 times each, so please do not refer me to another thread. Thanks.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

MarkyMark
    (This isn't an in depth review)

I'm ~165 lbs and am running X2's w/ 160 XTR rotors. X2 braking power is good enough for 1 finger braking.

I rode at Skeggs Point this past weekend looking to try to bed in my X2's. Skeggs is great XC terrain--it's full of short steep climbs and descents. I didn't have any issues with slowing down on Steam Donkey, which is one of the best descents there.

aka übermensch
    This isn't an in depth review either, as I only have 2 rides on my X2s.

There is plenty of power. I can easily lock up my rear wheel with one fingered braking. I'm guessing I could probably throw myself over the bars if I wanted to as well. The X2s feel more powerful than the Shimano XTs I replaced. That actually surprised me a little, because the pads are smaller.

The lever feels good out of the box. I may play with that a little, or leave it like it is.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my decision to put these on my Mojo. And the fact that I saved 228 grams was a bonus.

I'm 195 lbs geared up and running a 160mm front & 140mm rear.

Hope that helps.
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    My Hope Tech X2 brakes have been ok so far.

The Avid "Ultimate SL" brakes on my Specialized Epic were having sticking piston problems so I decided to replace them (Juicy Ultimate levers/ Avid Elixir calipers with sintered pads and 185 F/ 160 R Avid G3 rotors). I would have got some of the Ashima pistonless brakes but they weren't available until late April and didn't want to wait that long.

I went for Hope Tech X2 levers, 183 F / 160 R Hope floating rotors, standard brake pads and braided hoses. The Hope brake pads/ rotors take a while to bed in. Initially they have no power at all but after a bit more use they're starting to feel stronger.

Good things about the Hope brakes are that you can take the wheels off and put them back on easily without having to re-align the brake calipers to stop them dragging (something which was virtually impossible with the Avid brakes.) There isn't a huge pad gap but it's somewhere around 0.5 mm each side of the rotor which is better than the Avid's pad clearances.

Bad things are that Hope have somehow managed to design the Tech X2 brake lever so that it has compatibility issues when used with trigger shifters. If you use SRAM X-9 or X-0 trigger shifters then you either have to accept having your shifters at an odd angle or spend the extra £25 for a set of Hope Matchmaker brackets. I wasn't too impressed by that.

The Hope brakes are nice and quiet in the dry but you still get a hideous amount of squealing from them in the wet - just as bad as the Avid's are.

Pictured below: Hope Matchmaker brackets for SRAM trigger shofters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calling All 2009/10 Hope Tech X2 Owners-hope-tech-combo-mount.jpg  

Calling All 2009/10 Hope Tech X2 Owners-hope_techm4_brakes19.jpg  

chips & bier
    Another 155-160 lbs on 2x160 X2's here.

I'm happy with them and have them on both bikes - my XC hardtail and my XC/endurance FS rig which sees some pretty big mountain descents. No issues at all so far.

In terms of power: I've run Mini's from day one, each successive edition having more power than the last. The X2's are another step up. I'd say spot on for XC/marathon use, but with Hope-tpical modulation. In the past I've run gen 1 XTR, gen 2 XTR and Magura Louise. These are by far the best (although we are talking 9 years of disc brake development).

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have recently changed from the current Shimano XT set up to Hope X2's with braided hoses and floating rotors and am very impressed. I weigh 230lbs+ including kit, ride an xc full suspension and have found the power more than enough along with superior modulation and brake feel. I run the Hope Shimano compatable shifter mounts and have found the position spot on. I am also trying one sintered and one organic pad in each calliper and it seems to be doing the trick of slightly better braking than both sintered and better wear in dirty conditions than organic.

ultra member
    Thanks for all of the great replies. I do however have one more question. I am currently running avid juicy 3,s and the caliper body berly clears the spokes of my wheel. Will I have a problem with clearance with the x2's? How much wider are they than the 3's?
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member
    The distance from the centre of the 2010 Hope Tech X2 brake caliper (measured from directly above the rotor) to the inside edge of the brake caliper nearest to the spokes is approximately 17mm.

On my bike there looks to be more brake caliper / spoke distance with the Hope X2 brake caliper than with the previous Avid Elixir brake calipers - getting on for about 8 mm on the rear wheel and about 5mm on the front wheel.