mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Calipers on Juicy 7 doesn't hold back

I recently got a used bike that has the Juicy 7s. The front pad rubbed a little and had a squeak at very slow speeds (while climbing very slowly). I read the posts on here and saw it's a very common problem. So I proceeded with the suggestions to clean and oil the calipers.

I removed the brakes from the front fork. Took out the pads. Squeezed the brake lever to make the caliper come out and verified it moved back and forth (one moved more than the other side). I proceeded to oil and squeeze the levers, but then I saw one of the calipers really starting to come out (didn't completely come out though). I pressed them apart with a screw driver, but noticed they didn't go back all the way. I had to press extremely hard to get them to move all the way back in, but they automatically started to come out again slowly. I had a heck of a time getting the pads back on because the calipers kept wanting to move out.

I put everything back, but as you can imagine, the pads are now squeezing the rotors. And....now pressing the brake lever all the way doesn't do anything (barely tries to stop).

Are these brakes ruined? Does it just need a bleeding? Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It sounds like you got air in the system and need to bleed them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    It sounds like you got air in the system and need to bleed them.
    Thanks. I've heard nightmare stories about bleeding, so I'm gonna take it to my bike shop. They charge $30 to bleed. If that fixes the problem, it will be cheaper than changing out my brake system. Just wasn't sure if bleeding was gonna fix the problem. Really don't want to spend $300 changing brakes. I've read here the XT is probably the way to go if I change them out.