_
    Mar 2004

New question here. Caliper Slippage, I'm not sure....

i've been having trouble with my rotor rubbing the pads when re-inserting my front wheel before a ride. i have the stock hayes hfx-9 hydros with the stock marzocchi mx comp fork. i am not touching the lever at all,(without the wheel installed) but just about everytime i put my front wheel on after i take the bike out of the fork mounts in my truck, the rotor rubs the pads. it is getting old having to re-adjust the caliper position on the fork before every ride. does anyone have any ideas what the culprit could be? the bike is just about a month old, and has been out on the trails around 6 times. (weekend warrior status)

Formerly RyanC
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    i've been having trouble with my rotor rubbing the pads when re-inserting my front wheel before a ride. i have the stock hayes hfx-9 hydros with the stock marzocchi mx comp fork. i am not touching the lever at all,(without the wheel installed) but just about everytime i put my front wheel on after i take the bike out of the fork mounts in my truck, the rotor rubs the pads. it is getting old having to re-adjust the caliper position on the fork before every ride. does anyone have any ideas what the culprit could be? the bike is just about a month old, and has been out on the trails around 6 times. (weekend warrior status)
    Try to be consistent with your quick release tension. Make sure when aligning the caliper that the quick release is good and tight and the wheel flush in the dropouts. Also make sure the caliper is properly setup from the beginning. If one pad is slightly closer to the rotor, a little more or less quick release tension can offset the rotor just enough to make it rub against that pad. The QR tension affects the rotor position by a pretty slight amount, but can be enough to cause some rubbing. Try that and see if it works.
    -Ryan

simply me
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    Often this problem relates to an uneven face on the axle ends. Try releasing the QR and rotating the axle a little then clamping the QR again. You will probably find each time you do that the rotor position within the caliper changes.

This seems to be quite common, especially with XT hubs.