mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Caliper shims .05 mm, .02 mm source?

Does anybody have a good source for these disc brake caliper washer / shims ( not the u-shape, but the full circle type)? I've found them, but they are $3 each, and I need 2x 2.3 mm total ( 6 x .05, 8x .02) which = like 30$!!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you have a few shims already, you could pick up 6mm washers at a hardware store (home depot has a good stock) and use the shims to micro adjust. 2.3mm is pretty thick though, can you put up a picture? Perpendicular to the axle w. pads visible would be best. I wanna see if there isn't something else you can adjust. CRC has shims, not exactly the size you're looking for, but much cheaper.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...px?ModelID=356

Meh.
    Have you checked your LBS?

ballbuster

Try...

Quote Originally Posted by Litemike
    Does anybody have a good source for these disc brake caliper washer / shims ( not the u-shape, but the full circle type)? I've found them, but they are $3 each, and I need 2x 2.3 mm total ( 6 x .05, 8x .02) which = like 30$!!! Thanks.
    Hope or Magura. THey both use (or used) those types of shims.

Just a flesh wound

Washers

Like vk said, use a washer and then the shim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks for the ideas

I had the machine shop at work run a few stainless spacers just a bit oversized, then I emery papered them down to spec. The Magura ones were the cheapest, but most places had a 10$+ delivery, so it was a wash with the cost.

mtbr member
    It's a bit of an overkill to have to machine your own shims, but if it's as cheap as buying shims I guess it works. I would've just bought washers for $0.55 a bag or use hub adjustments.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    It's a bit of an overkill to have to machine your own shims, but if it's as cheap as buying shims I guess it works. I would've just bought washers for $0.55 a bag or use hub adjustments.
    Yeah, I know it is overkill, but it is a new bike, Kent Eriksen, and I really wanted everything to look up to the quality of the frame. Plus, those washers at the hardware store are not going to be "flat", shims have a much tighter tolerance, even all the way around.