mtbr member

caliper rubbing rotor

I've just installed new wheels and avid bb5, Front no problem but on the rear the caliper rubs the rotor and I can't move the caliper over any more. any suggestions?
    Last edited by anteyeradio; 03-02-2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: type o

Meh.
    Did you back off which pad that is rubbing all the way?

If the caliper needs to move inboard (toward the hub) use a spacer between the adapter and the frame.

If the caliper needs to move outboard use rotor shims, or face your disc tabs, or grind the adapter a little.

mtbr member
    I did take a flat mill file to the tabs on the frame. I had to file off quite a bit because the cps screw was rubbing the rotor.now there is only about 1/2 mm between cps screw and the rotor but it's not rubbing. it is still making a chingging noise like the rotor is not true. I have a 06 specialized rockhopper that came with v's so this is my first experience with disc brakes. I didn't know if this was a common problem or not.

Meh.
    It's not common, but it definitely does happen. Each manufacturer produces their part to different spectrums of the International Standard. Or in this case, probably paint overspray or the tabs are a bit off.

mtbr member
    I got my bake situation fixed, but my rotot is still broken!

Meh.
    Do you mean rotor?

And how is it broken?

If it's slightly out of true, it can be trued back. Read the Disc brake FAQ at the top right of the page.

banned
    On my Moto-lite I have Juicy 5's that are always making a small rubbing sound. I have re-centered, tweaked the rotor by hand, had it at the LBS and they can't make it stop. I have a set of El Camino's on my 29er and have had absolutely no problems. Best brakes I have ever tried. My Deore hydro's on my Enduro's work better than the J5's. Should I just upgrade to El Camino's and forget the J5's or what? I'm at my wits end with these brakes. Even with the rubbing they work fine. But I am particular about my brakes. I do not want any rubbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Do you mean rotor?
    that was a joke about my type o

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    And how is it broken?
    nothing is broken, thanks for the concern though.
    I got to ride the trails today and they worked great!

Meh.
    Your shop doesn't know what they're doing then. It is possible that the system is overfilled. Do a fresh bleed with DOT 5.1. I don't know if your rotors really are true, or if your caliper really is square to the rotor.

Those El Caminos are truly terrible. Unless you're a light weight doing XC, I can't see them being very good. The fluid capacity is tiny, the system heats up quickly. The brake fades significantly and quickly. The build quality is also less than impressive. And Hayes had been hyping up the brake as cream of the crop for a long time. It's been a complete let down. Problems problems problems.

I do happen to like Shimano brakes. The Deores don't quite offer the same performance as the Juicies.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have to vote for shimano also, never had any problems with my xts, Im going to try xtr on my other bike. I have some juicy 7s that stop fine but the rotors are NOISY

banned
    Believe it or not, my El Camino's have given absolutely no problems and I am a big boy 275-280lbs. I am mystified as to why they are working so good myself after seeing all of the negative reviews here. Maybe I'm lucky or it could be that as time goes on they will start causing problems. Who know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I had to have my frame mounts faced to get my rear XTR caliper to line up correctly as the XTR does not have any adjustment other than spacers and I needed to go in the opposite direction. The shop did it for a very small fee and it now lines up perfect with no adjusting spacers needed. I did have to go back for a fine tuning as the rotor wasn't quite centered on the first go around.