i drink shower water

caliper pushing disc...help

so this is very noticable on my rear wheel and not soo much on my front. I am running hayes sole with 8inch rotors. I have tried all the routine asjustments with the pads but nothing works. when i am going fast and i hit my rear brake it makes a funky noise and i think it is because of this problem. it is the outside pad that is pushing and bending the disc.

Any ideas to handle this issue?
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Going for a ride......
    That is the one thing I really didn't like about my soles - I hadn't had the bike for that long and found I had to adjust all the pads all the way inwards to have the engagement / feel / function how I liked. They're my first hydro brake so don't know any different either.

I think that the system is ok with a certain amount of rotor flex. If you're getting warbles and noise then you could try cleaning the rotor well with isopropyl alcohol (your parmacy or electronics shop should sell some - I've found electronics shops are cheaper & sell it in a spray bottle).

If that fails most people say that the noise stops if they give the pads a bit of a sand (in a figure 8).

Failing that if you may be able to put some shims in to get your rotor centered more evenly between the pads. I couldn't do this as my brakes were IS mount and at one stage it was the inboard pad that was furthest away from the rotor - so shimming anything would have moved it more inboard!

If you have post mount brakes you could also try centering them by undoing the mounting bolts, squeezing the lever & doing them up whilst keeping pressure on the lever & pads engaged.

Good luck.
    energetix

Double-metric mtb man
    Because the Soles are single piston calipers, only one side moves. You can try bringing the stationary pad in a bit more to reduce the amount the piston will move the rotor, but that's about it.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Race Technician

One side moves....

But you can adjust the fixed pad and the moving pad ( Don't forget to loosen the small set screw). Flexing the disc is not a problem they are disigned for that.

Our web site has the Sole installation instruction manual.

Randy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You can also remove the pads, clean off the pistons and the pads, sometimes crap gets in between.

Or a piston will get sticky.

Race Technician

Won't get a sticky piston on Soles...

A spring pulls the piston back in the bore not a seal.

Rand

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hmm, I have had to fix one, it was very dirty.

Going for a ride......
    Is it correct that with the soles you don't have to worry about pulling the brake lever while you have the wheel off? Pretty sure I've done this in the past and the piston just retracts as normal. I know that with other brakes it's a big no no.
    energetix

Race Technician

Correct...

Since the spring pulls the piston back you can squeeze it all day without the wheel in there. The only thing you'll need to adjust for is pad wear.

Randy

i drink shower water
    thanks for the help i will try these out.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy