Dr. Pepper drinker

Cables for Avid Mech Discs??

Judging by the reviews I've seen and opinions on here it seems that the Avid Full Metal Jacket is the best bet for cables for the Avid Mech Discs. Anyone disagree with this or have any other suggestions for what to use? From what I can tell the Flak Jacket and Straight Jacket seem to have more problems than the Full Metal. I'm not very familiar with any of them, anyone have any particular advantages or disadvantages for either that they could share?

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Judging by the reviews I've seen and opinions on here it seems that the Avid Full Metal Jacket is the best bet for cables for the Avid Mech Discs. Anyone disagree with this or have any other suggestions for what to use? From what I can tell the Flak Jacket and Straight Jacket seem to have more problems than the Full Metal. I'm not very familiar with any of them, anyone have any particular advantages or disadvantages for either that they could share?
    I'm using the Full Metal Jacket cables, although I'm not using the full metal part. haha, so I guess it is more like the Flak Jacket line if the only distinguishing feature of the Full Metal is that metal tube. I tried it out for abit, the metal tubing that is, but it was just too hokey so I pulled it off. I can do a nose wheelie with one finger with my Avids. I love it, beats the hell out of the hydraulics I've had. imho
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

Crank monkey

I use plain old bulk cable from the LBS...

And it works just fine. Personally, I wouldn't bother with spending the extra coin for the fancy stuff, IMO.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use the Full Metal Jacket on my front brake, and the stock Shimano cable/housing for the rear. The front seems to be much stronger now than with normal cables, for my 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Even the newer Avid Flak Jacket housing is great stuff, very reliable and durable. I have the Flak system for the rear and the Flak/FMJ system for the front on a Blur (couldn't get decent FMJ routing for the back) and it's excellent.

Do It Yourself
    You can get a 100ft of Jagwire kevlar housing from Specialized for $25 shipped. Jagwire is the same company that manufactures almost all top quality cables including Avid_and_Shimano.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProd...v0volfy.j27006

Then pick up a couple of the Jagwire cable/ferrule kits...

https://secure9.nexternal.com/shared...&CategoryID=30

And run full length housing to front and rear.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Jagwire Mac

I'm currently using the Jagwire Mac cables and a little dissapointed. I've done a pretty good job optimizing the cable rout to be as straight as possible, but I find the performance to be smooth but sluggish. Granted on the trails, real-time operation seems fine and I really never really notice any delay even in technical situations. I guess I'm kind of anal about the feel and looking for more of a snappy quick feel at the lever.

"El Whatever"
    That's the beauty of the Mech Avids.... just put any cable... something that worked for me is using a teflon coated Jagwire cable and some plastic ferrules with the standard housing and you're done. Anyway you're not going to get "that hydro feeling" unless you use real hydros.
    Check my Site

Tater Like'um Bike Ridez!

AVID FMJ = SICK sealed cable system

I just put Avid 7" Mechs on my bike and they are amazing. I installed them with the FMJ cables from the start, and DAMN are they sweet. Never felt anything like it. I've probably ridden over 100mi since they went on, and there is absolutely no grit, grime, or anything else clogging things up. The FMJ is a completely sealed system so it STAYS super clean. I ride in a lot of mucky, sloppy Vermont mud too. The other bonus with the FMJ I've found is that it has virtually no friction on the cables. This makes them feel almost like a hydraulic setup. I have one finger power on both F&R brakes and after the initial breakin, they are quieter than hydros too, in my opinion. My friend rides with Hayes Hydros and he says he almost likes my brakes better. The only problem I found with the FMJ is that the install takes a bit more time than regular cable housing, but it's SO worth it to not have to tear apart my rear brake line every other ride to make it feel smooth and not stick. (you can use any kind of brake cable inside the housing too, so don't worry about maintenance, it's easy to slide the cable in!) Good luck!

~J