mtbr member

Cable Routing Problem

So when I bought my bike it had mechanical brakes. I upgraded it to hydro disc brakes. Now, the brake line for the rear brakes doesn't stay put under the top tube. When I had mechanical brakes, the tension of the brake cable kept the cable put. Now I've had to revert to zip-ties to keep the cable on the top tube. I've been told I can get inserts of some sort to put in the brake cable "stays" (whatever they're called). I'm not sure what they're exactly called so I don't know what to search for. Pictures below to clear up what I'm really talking about. (pics shown with the new hydro brake line)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    AllOver, while you wait for someone to chime in and give you the exact name of what you are looking for, have you thought about sliding a 10mm silicone hose (one that fits snugly) over your hydro lines and then forcing it in the frame "clips" that used to keep the mechanical lines in place?

Good luck.

-Walter

mtbr member
    I just cut a small section of old tube, wrap it around the hose and push it into the guide. It usually lasts about a year before it fall outs.

Tim

neutiquam erro
    I'm really not sure if that's what these guys are for, but it sorta looks like it. Then your stuck with 48 more of 'em if you get that.

I use these cats for some of my cable routings. they work really well (stay stuck good), but aren't necessarily a "snug" fit depending on the diameter of your housing. But that's not a big deal for hydro brake lines.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the first inserts that Chris130 suggested should get the job done.. but yeah.. 50 of them is way too much... maybe your LBS can sell you a couple..

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help! I think I may just use the 10mm silicone hose if I can't find a smaller quantity of those jagwire guides somewhere else. Ya, I did try my LBS but they didn't have them. Sweet, no more zip ties on my top tube!