Thread: cable routing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cable routing

Trying to get an el cheapo special in running order for my nephew. The brakes are a disaster. There seem to be no cable stops. There are cable guides welded on to the top tube, but the cable end just slides right through. Does anyone know of an easy fix for this? Is there a product of some sort that would allow me to reduce the diameter of those cable guides so the cable ends would stop against them, rather than sliding through? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    Why not just run full cable housing? Those are the type of cable routes my old 84' Giant Iguana used. It was actually really nice because when I went from canti brakes to Magura rim hydro brakes, I was able to run the hydro line straight back through the routes, rather than to zip tie them to the bike.

DT

Quote Originally Posted by muddy sox
    Trying to get an el cheapo special in running order for my nephew. The brakes are a disaster. There seem to be no cable stops. There are cable guides welded on to the top tube, but the cable end just slides right through. Does anyone know of an easy fix for this? Is there a product of some sort that would allow me to reduce the diameter of those cable guides so the cable ends would stop against them, rather than sliding through? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    You can use full length housings which won't need frame cable stops. Otherwise, you can try to get larger cable ferrules which don't fit through the guides, and zip-tie the housing with the oversized ferrule next to the guide so that it doesn't move.

Tonight we ride.
    Is there a product of some sort that would allow me to reduce the diameter of those cable guides so the cable ends would stop against them, rather than sliding through?
    There are guide-to-stop adapters available in a variety of sizes. Measure the inner diameter of your guides before purchasing. Otherwise, use clamp-on cable stops or run full housing.

AEbike has some of both.