Thread: cable routing

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. cable routing

what is the best way to route a front brake cable to mech disc brakes? on the inside of the fork or to the out side of the fork? here are 2 pics i found on the forum of the different cable routes. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

neutiquam erro
    Whatever works best for your set-up.

Even though it generally gives a cleaner (less twists & turns) "line", I personally don't like routing around the outside of the fork because of snag/crash/smush/smear potential.

On my Talas, the hose guide is right about where the v-brake boss is on that Bomber in the second pic you posted, and then the housing runs inside the fork, and around back to the brake. Works for me. It looks like that may be how it's done in the top pic, but I can't really tell from the angle of the pic...

On my rigid fork, I just run the housing straight down the back of the fork leg to the brake.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I getting a bike witha reba fork on it real soon. I do not think there is a guide on the fork but I am not sure. The protecion from a crash thing does make sense, but with mechs I don't think too much damge could atually happen. With hydros I could see not wanting to get a punture in the hose.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Straight down the back.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common