mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cable To Hydraulic On Trek Marlin?

My wife and I purchased new bikes a few months ago. I purchased a new Trek Marlin 29er and my wife a few weeks later a Trek Cali 29er. I really love the hydraulic disc brakes she got with her bike. The stopping power is much greater then the cable disc brakes that came on the Marlin. I have been trying to find a set of Hydraulics that would work with the Marlin but can't seem to find the information. I found a great deal on a set of Avid Elixir R Hydraulic from a 29er but the set doesnt include the rotors themselves. Would this set up work??? Thanks for any help in advance.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I have been trying to find a set of Hydraulics that would work with the Marlin but can't seem to find the information. I found a great deal on a set of Avid Elixir R Hydraulic from a 29er but the set doesnt include the rotors themselves.
    Shimano, Hope, Magura, Hayes, Avid and other brands of hydraulic brakes will work on your bike.

Brakes aren't 29er specific.

You can use your current rotors with a new set of disc brake calipers.

If mechanical disc brakes aren't setup properly and adjusted regularly they won't perform as well as they should.
    With mechanical disc brakes you need to adjust them as the pads wear.

mtbr member
    Not to deter you from getting hydro's if you want, but also consider compression free cable and housing.

Brake housing on bicycles looks like a compressed Slinky wrapped with some kind of plastic material. When you pull on your brake lever it can compress the housing and they can feel spongy. Something like Jagwire's Ripcord housing kit would drastically improve the feel of your mechanical discs. Jagwire housing uses parallel wire wrapped in Kevlar. This means a firm brake feel and better overall braking.

Universal Cycles -- Jagwire MTN Pro "Ripcord" Brake Cable/Housing Set

Plus they come in cool colors.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you both for the replies.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Novelas that come stock on Marlins are their worst feature. I got caught up in the shiny chrome of a set of XT's, but honestly any brake will be a world of difference compared to the tektros. I do have to watch for bears now that I've gotten rid of the cable actuated sirens I once called brakes....

mtbr member
    I agree that the Tektro disk brakes are pretty much junk. I had them on my last bike and never could get them to work. I then switched to Avid BB7 mechanical discs and it was a world of difference. They were very easy to adjust, reliable, and had lots of stopping power. I am now moving to hydros though because my BB7s won't fin the Inbred frame that I have on the way. I hope they have as much if not more stopping power as my BB7s did.

mtbr member
    Make sure you get the right adapters for any brake conversion. I am pretty sure the Tektro mechanical caliper is using a 51 to 74 mm post adapter up front. You may be able to ditch that and stick a new hydro right on, as most calipers fit a 74mm post mount with 160mm rotor without an adapter these days.

mtbr member
    Definitely worth the upgrade.