official eMpTyBRain

Burned Brake Rotor Assistance

While on a ride tonight, I noticed that my rear brake was acting strange. The caliper was making a popping sound whenever I squeezed the lever. The brake worked normally though so I continued on. As I progressed I start hearing a jingling sound from the rear of the bike as I rode down the uneven terrain. I stopped and noticed that my rear rotor was coming loose. Didn't have the proper tool to tighten it up with me so I proceeded (catiously) down the hill to get home.

When I got home and had a good look in the light, I could see that the rotor had pretty much turned dark.

It still seems to slow and stop normally, though.

Is the rotor dust or is there something I can do to it to remedy it's condition, other than tighten it up and go?

It's a 160mm Magura Storm SL rotor with plenty of thickness left.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    I just had a similar experience with my Hope's . . . . took them down a run and part way down, the front was making similar noises to what you are describing. I stopped and could see a dark streak all the way around the braking surface. Had to get home, so I let them cool and continued down the run . . . by the time I got to the bottom, the noise was gone and the rotor is clean again.

I think my issue is that I took them down a run that they weren't ready for . . . I have only about 50 miles on them don't think my pads are fully bedded in yet (seems to be talking FOREVER). Are your Magura's still pretty new?

I think I'd tighten it up and go . . . see what happens. Can't get any worse really, can it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Its probably warped too- which was probably causing the popping noise. Your best bet is to buy a new rotor honestly.

official eMpTyBRain
    Just ordered a new set of rotors. I will ride on this rotor until the the set shows up. Between now and then, I will decide whether or not this rotor is gonna continue to do it's job.

If I should die while trying to find out...the answer to my question will, "NO".

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Geez I have blued up my rotors several times...smoking hot...(they did not loosen off)...

I just took a small chunk of sandpaper between my fingers and rotated the disk for a minute or so...

Cleaned up real nice.

What could go wrong ...
    I've had several rotors turn blue ... never did a thing about it and it eventually wore off and the brakes worked fine the whole time
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Geez I have blued up my rotors several times...smoking hot...(they did not loosen off)...

I just took a small chunk of sandpaper between my fingers and rotated the disk for a minute or so...

Cleaned up real nice.
    K, thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I still needed the extra set of rotors though. I like to keep a spare one of everything in my "bike shop" closet.