PSI
    I want that one

budget DH stoppers

gentlemen,

I'm working on a budget DH bike. its equipped with juicy 5's with 203 rotors which are plenty strong but fade really bad after 3 or 4 runs. i would like to replace them either with shimano deores or magura julies.

snobbery and weight aside, with the same given rotor size, how do they perform in terms of strength and fade vs. xt's or louises?

thanks!

Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr

Deores are swell

I really like my Deores with Dangerboy levers and big rotors. Good modulation and power. They don't seem to fade on long descents, are quiet and use good old mineral oil.

Snobbery and weight aside of course.
    Dirtbag since '89

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    gentlemen,

I'm working on a budget DH bike. its equipped with juicy 5's with 203 rotors which are plenty strong but fade really bad after 3 or 4 runs. i would like to replace them either with shimano deores or magura julies.

snobbery and weight aside, with the same given rotor size, how do they perform in terms of strength and fade vs. xt's or louises?

thanks!

I think upgrading the brakes is really excess in your case (budget-wise). Try sintered/semi-metallic pads on your current brakes. They wont fade nearly as much your current organic pads, which is what i assume youre running right now. Only thing is they take longer to bed in, but they last longer and fade less.

PSI
    I want that one
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    I think upgrading the brakes is really excess in your case (budget-wise). Try sintered/semi-metallic pads on your current brakes. They wont fade nearly as much your current organic pads, which is what i assume youre running right now. Only thing is they take longer to bed in, but they last longer and fade less.
    i actually kinda hate juicys, they are strong but feel spongy and the dot oil seems to swell up easily. im saying this about 2 sets that i own. i just replaced them on my xc bike with 08 xt's which are way, way nicer and kinda feel like the magura louises i have on my trail bike. since the DH bike only gets ridden occasionally im trying to keep it cheap, but i still want to get rid of the juicys.

Riiiiiide...
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    i actually kinda hate juicys, they are strong but feel spongy and the dot oil seems to swell up easily. im saying this about 2 sets that i own. i just replaced them on my xc bike with 08 xt's which are way, way nicer and kinda feel like the magura louises i have on my trail bike. since the DH bike only gets ridden occasionally im trying to keep it cheap, but i still want to get rid of the juicys.

Well in that case shimano LX/Hone (better than deore, basically as good as XT) or Louise FR. Just a note, if you get shimanos.. change the stock pads RIGHT AWAY. They will disintegrate in harsh conditions, basically theyre designed to get you out shopping for new pads sooooon.

And of course for budget.. go last years models!

Meh.
    If you're getting fade then flush out the old nasty DOT fluid with a nice high performance fluid such as Motul RBF600 or ATE.

If they feel spongey then you've got a bleed issue.

Meh.
    That said, I do like the XT and the newer Louise brakes. My favorite XTs are still the 4pots. Brilliant.

mtbr member
    I also donīt like the juicys that much, but I think with a proper bleed and good Dot 5.1 they are on par with Deores for sure.

The LX are really cheap and good. The Julies suck, as they are a low pressure system. Really bad braking power.
    The Deores are ok, nice with big rotors, but really a class under LX/XT etc. (and they are supposed to be, by Shimano )

I have XT 4 Pots too, they are fantastic. Best brake for me also

Greetings Znarf

PSI
    I want that one

hey, thanks everyone

got a set of used xt 4 pots/203