Thread: budget brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

budget brakes

I've been looking at some cheaper brakes on ebay for my XC bike. I've currently got avid bb7s at 160mm, and they're alright, but i don't really like the feel. They're much better than any other mechanicals I've ridden though.

I've been looking at either Avid Juicy 3s, or Shimano Deore 535s. There's a set of both of those on ebay for around $120 a set. (no rotors) I've got Avid rotors already and I don't know if they'll work with the Shimanos. I know these are budget brakes but what do you guys think of either system? Any other recommendations?

I've seen plenty of Hayes HFX 9s too, but I've read some very bad reviews of some of Hayes' earlier work. The reviews of the Avids here weren't too good, but the Shimanos, despite having many more reviews were about the same.

Thanks guys.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    jenson has Tektro Auriga hydro take offs for $30 a side... 180 ft/ 160r i've got a set under the christmas tree.. they used deore pads so it's not a prob finding em... don't know if they are any better/worse then bb7's but the intial feel of them (not on the bike) felt pretty good...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned HFX-9's and both had to have parts replaced (by me) before they finally worked right. If you don't mind working on your own stuff than they eventually became good brakes...it just took some effort.

I have Juicy 5's right now and quite like them. I have had BB7's in the past and I think the Juicy 5's are better. Not sure how close the Juicy 3's are to the 5's

I also have known many with the Deore 525 brakes and they loved them, very reliable. I think the Deore 535 are the updated version of these.

That's a hell of a deal on the Tektro's though...not sure how good they are but $60 for a set is insane!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup i figured they had to be better then the stock tektro V's on my bike...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Chainreaction has Shimano SLX for $90 (upper right hand corner you can switch prices to US dollars). I'm temporarily using a similar setup (m775 levers/Deore 535 Caliper) on a 7" x 7" bike and very impressed, I might even keep this setup.

ride hard take risks
    Kinda generic on the early Hayes had bad reviews considering they are one of the rare survivors of the original hydro MTB brakes.

Hayes Mag's and early XT's are awesome brakes if you want great brakes of the past for a good price. Hayes Ryde or Trails, Avid J5 or7's are great hydro systems that will more than satisfy your stoppie needs.

http://www.spadout.com/c/hydraulic-b...pers-and-sets/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Cheezy Rider
    I have Juicy 3s, no complaints, but they're not much of an upgrade over BB7s. I'd save your money for some nice Hopes, or maybe spend it on something besides brakes.

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    +1 to Rufudufus, i run both BB7s and J3s and since Ive spend time tuning my BB's they have better feel than the juicys. Save some money and get a better set later on

Dirt Deviant
    Rather than try some new budget brakes, and not see much if any improvement, you may be better off tinkering with what you have.
    Changing out your cables to something higher end, trying new different types of pads, maybe some new levers too.
    You'd prolly be much happier doing that than getting a budget hydro.
    Save up till you can afford something higher end in the meantime.
    What is it that you don't like about the BB7's?
    If they don't feel strong enough, maybe consider upgrading to larger rotors.
    How much do you weigh, and what is your riding style?
    When I first setup my BB7's I didn't care for them much, but now that I have them dialed, I couldn't imagine them being much better.
    Quality compressionless cables, good inner cables, proper sized rotors and a proper setup you can't get much better.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    I bought a few sets of the Tektro Aurigas from Jenson, really nice brakes. I put them on my daughters and wifes bikes. I've used IO's in the past and the pads stink, so before I installed the Aurigas, I order a 4 pack of M525/Auriga pads from Bikefridge on eBay. I have Deore LX/Hone on other bikes and these seam to be just as good (with the same eBay pads). INHO, these are a steal. BTW, they are standard take-offs from an 08' Jamis Parker I.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have Tektro Auriga Comp, since February. I like them very much. Much better than v-brakes.
    I have friends that tried them and the Deore, and they say they are similar. The Deore levers are much bigger and uglier.
    However, I've never ridden any other hydraulic brakes so I can't compare. I just like them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A well adjusted BB7 with the right peripherals (Speed Dial levers, compressionless uninterrupted housing, good cable run) should feel so smooth that it's hard to feel the difference to a hydro at the lever when driven on the trail.