Short-Change-Hero

Budget Brake system.....

So I am building a 29er from the ground up and trying to build something that I will not want to upgrade in a season or two. Right now I have my spec sheet laid out with the $120 BB7 kit that BlueSkyCycles has right now.. But then I was looking at hydro's and wondering if I would get better usage/bang for the buck outta those instead of mechanical.

The area I ride in is N. Nevada around Lake Tahoe so there is everything from techie rides to nice downhills. I see myself riding lost of singletrack (as we have some beautiful country around here) with some good downhills. I want something that will stop me when needed but wont break the bank. I was looking at the Hayes Stroker Trail Plain Package from JensonUSA but wondering what peoples feels are for those vs. the BB7s?

Also, is there anything in the less than $200 range (calipers, levers, rotors, hose) that is better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    in that price range.. or even a bit more... I'd keep the BB7's. If anything upgrade the front to a bigger rotor while your starting fresh.

Nuts
    You can find brand new hydro's under 200 clams on Ebay all day long. Ok it might take a little looking but they are on there off and on.
    And I love beer!!

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    SLX or XT hydros from Ribble. I picked up an XT set, added in rotors and shipping, and was out the door at ~$230. I'll bet SLX would come in under $200.

Master of Disaster
    Personally, I like the BB7's for simplicity and reliability though I hate Avid's cheap-feeling FR-5 levers - I much prefer Tektro levers. A 185mm front rotor is a good option too. For hydro's though, SLX M665 for $100 each front & rear with 6-bolt rotors (160mm) looks tempting and the hoses on these aren't too long like some of the kits I've seen:

Shimano SLX M665 Disc Brake Kit
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...w_Adapters.htm

These include Servo-Wave levers which are nice but I'm a little put off by them being made from stamped aluminum sheet instead of being cast or forged. Still, when you consider that cheap hydro's are $90 each...
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by RLK
    SLX or XT hydros from Ribble.
    Never heard of them and it took me a bit to find the MTB/BMX tab and then "Disc brakes" separate from "Brakes - MTB". Good prices and shipping from the U.K. is reasonable though every item I saw with a killer price was out of stock. Still, I'll have to bookmark them:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/?type=RIBMT
    Last edited by Clones123; 09-07-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    IMBA member #234701

Rub it............
    If going with BB7's, pass on the FR5's and get the Speed Dial 7 levers. Much better levers for only a few bux more. IIRC the SD7's run around $22-25

mtbr member
    About a month ago, I got the Avid Elixir Rs w/160G3 rotors for $110 each from the local Wheelworld. They replaced the POS Hayes Stroker Trails that came on my Anthem. No judder or squeal from them and they have good lever feel. On the Hayes, the pads shifted down, causing the center post on the caliper to bend when I squeezed the levers, because the little bent wire springs that hold the pads in place DON'T. So I was looking at rebuilding the calipers or just replacing the whole thing and I am glad I replaced them. As far as I am concerned, having only a bent piece of wire holding the pads in place is not enough.

Maybe I am lucky not to have the Avid jidders, shudders, squeals or whatever they are, but I don't and I love those brakes.
    Tzvia.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok... so got many votes for the BB7's but with different levers. I agree that they are good brakes, the bike I currently ride has them with XTR integrated shifter/brake levers, so where can I pick up just levers and just the BB7 calipers/rotors.

Master of Disaster
    2009 Avid Mechanical BB7 Disc Brake 185mm - $49.98
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...rake_185mm.htm

2009 Avid Mechanical BB7 Disc Brake 160mm - $45.98
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...rake_160mm.htm

2009 Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers - $19.98
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ake_Levers.htm

Tektro Eclipse MT MTB Brake Levers - $16.98 (I like these personally)
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...ake_Levers.htm
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You can pick up Magura Louise BAT for about $110 shipped(including rotors) from wiggle.co.uk
    You'll probably need to pick up a different QM adapter for the front but that's like $15 or less shipped.

mtbr member

Hygia

I've been riding BB7s for years now but have been truly tempted by the Hygia Usagi (and other models) that have been discussed on other threads here. Complete F&R set for well under $200 and (mostly) well reviewed to this point. Ebay is the only place I've found them.
    Cheers,
    M

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz
    I've been riding BB7s for years now but have been truly tempted by the Hygia Usagi (and other models) that have been discussed on other threads here.
    Wow - the Hygia Elite in red looks awesome. I live in the southeastern USA so I'm less inclined to deal with DOT4 fluid than riders in colder climes might be. Seller EASY BIKE STORE lists the hoses as 75mm front and 135mm rear on each ebBay listing but from the photos it's pretty clear that was merely Chinglish for centimeters - kinda long actually.

Anyway, nice-looking and very light. I'm looking forward to reading more about these.

EDIT: Here's an extensive thread with photos and performance comparisons:
    Hygia Disc Brakes
    Hygia Disc Brakes
    Last edited by Clones123; 09-11-2010 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Never heard of them and it took me a bit to find the MTB/BMX tab and then "Disc brakes" separate from "Brakes - MTB". Good prices and shipping from the U.K. is reasonable though every item I saw with a killer price was out of stock. Still, I'll have to bookmark them:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/?type=RIBMT
    OE XT M775 with 180mm rotors about $240 a pair with free post at wiggle
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi
    OE XT M775 with 180mm rotors about $240 a pair with free post at wiggle
    Man, that's a deal. Amazing how competitive UK retail prices are when you take away VAT, huh? So...

SLX M665 with 160mm rotors for $200 plus shipping and still need to buy a 180mm front rotor and adapter.

vs

XT M775 with 180mm rotors for $240 shipped and need to trade someone for a 160mm rear (probably not too hard to find).

Doesn't seem like a very difficult choice. Funny though how few retail sets you see with the most popular 180mm front/160mm rear combination. Usually the few 180/160 sets you see are takeoffs.
    Last edited by Clones123; 09-18-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Riding and lovin it.
    You can get a set of Avid Elixirs 3 185mm for 105$ each. This is what I'm running my my HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hayes Stroker Trails

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120616817761

$150 shipped for complete set with 180mm rotors

These brakes do not suck by any means. I have a set of stroker trails and stroker aces and both work flawlessly. Most people that have issues with them don't maintain them properly, adjust the pads correctly, or know how to bleed them correctly. Not to mention Hayes customer service is second to none. I also had BB7s and they are great brakes as well with alot of stopping power but less modulation than a hydro

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet513
    Hayes Stroker Trails...$150 shipped for complete set with 180mm rotors
    These brakes do not suck by any means.
    You've had good luck with your as have some others. Yet quite a few people describe serious problems and the reviews of the Hayes Bleed Kit...well, that certainly makes you wonder. It's like that with a lot of hydros though - some people like one model, other people say that same brake is terrible. I guess you have to take reviews in an aggregate sense and hope you're one of the lucky ones.

BikeRadar had this to say:
    "The long, curved lever has an embedded reach adjuster but it feels wooden and blunt, with slight lever wobble and rattle, and there’s no bite point adjuster. Actual braking performance and modulation is average in the dry but ranks higher in wet or cool conditions."

ronbo613
    I have a set of stroker trails and stroker aces and both work flawlessly. Most people that have issues with them don't maintain them properly, adjust the pads correctly, or know how to bleed them correctly. Not to mention Hayes customer service is second to none
    The Stroker Trails that came on my Giant TranceX have had all kind of problems. I know how to bleed and adjust brakes, it's not user error. And for Hayes customer service; I sent the brakes to the Hayes factory to be repaired, now they have completely failed and are unusable. So if Hayes technicians can't make the brakes work, who can?
    Giant no longer specs Hayes brakes on their bikes(they use Shimano and Avid). Where do you think those cheap brakes at Jenson are coming from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    The Stroker Trails that came on my Giant TranceX have had all kind of problems. I know how to bleed and adjust brakes, it's not user error. And for Hayes customer service; I sent the brakes to the Hayes factory to be repaired, now they have completely failed and are unusable. So if Hayes technicians can't make the brakes work, who can?
    Giant no longer specs Hayes brakes on their bikes(they use Shimano and Avid). Where do you think those cheap brakes at Jenson are coming from?
    Maybe they got a bad batch I have no idea. All I know is I have never had any issues out of them. I have heard of just as many problems with Avids so who knows. Whenit comes to brakes on a mountain bike there are so many factors that can determine the performance or lack of. If he goes with BB7s that's a very very safe choice that always yeilds great results. I will say that Avid has the best bleed kit and are the easiest to bleed though