Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken V-Brake

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  speed is sweet 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I took a really hard fall near the bottom of a hill. Thankfully my friend behind me reacted fast locked out his wheels and avoided me. I was ok so I continued riding but today I was cleaning up my bike when I noticed that the spring on the right side (from behind) on the rear brake. has a broken spring thingy. This spring is responsible for making the brake pop back out and the cable going back taunt intead of it just dangling loose dangerously and touching the tire. My question is is this little piece replaceable without replacing the entire side and if it is will I be forced to wait for the part to be ordered to the LBS I am taking it there tommorrow most likely and I don't want to have to shell out to much or wait a long time because the weather is amazing right now. Plus the bike is only a hardrock sport and I will get a new bike next season and I don't want to waste to much money on this thing.

#2 ·
So, the linear spring is broken, or just loose? a pic would help a lot.
check out Park Tool's linear brake service page, it should help.
hrm... on a second look, that page doesn't show anything about the linear spring. if the spring is there (not broken off), you should be able to place it back on the correct side of the tab on the back of the brake arm... look at your functioning brakes to see what I'm talking about.

If the spring is indeed broken, they aren't usually replaceable, and you'll need a brake arm or brakeset for the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.