Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    353

    Broken tab on Avid Single Digit Ti HELP!!!!

    I just got an amazing deal on an Ellsworth Truth with a World Cup SID and DT Swiss 240 hubs. Problem is, I was adjusting the v brake alignment and overtightened the alignment screw, snapping the tab it pushes up against.

    Avid Single Digit Ti's are pretty much impossible to find nowadays. Can I replace the broken silver part shown in the pictures? I found this kit here which seems to have the same parts.

    Avid Brake Arm Spring Kit Single Digit SL

    Sram's parts diagram for the SD 7 also shows it as removable here: https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....d_spc_reva.pdf

    Broken tab on Avid Single Digit Ti HELP!!!!-img_3251.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,139
    I don't know. It seems that if it's not part of the aluminum arms, it can be removed. And in the end, the part has to fit over the same brake stud. I wish I had a better answer for you but I don't have much experience with their brakes. I have a bunch of Shimano stuff.

    Just in case, I found this............

    https://slo.craigslist.org/bop/5917952621.html

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post

    Just in case, I found this............

    https://slo.craigslist.org/bop/5917952621.html
    gmats, thanks kindly for that link. I will try and see if I can get him to ship. It's nearly the same price as the spring kit.

    I just got off the phone with SRAM's dealer service and they can get me the parts but do not know how to disassemble the brake to that extent. I have been to two shops in town and neither knows how to do it either, so I am waiting for SRAM to tell me how it's done. I will keep updating this thread just so somebody with a similar conundrum can refer to it.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    gmats, thanks kindly for that link. I will try and see if I can get him to ship. It's nearly the same price as the spring kit.

    I just got off the phone with SRAM's dealer service and they can get me the parts but do not know how to disassemble the brake to that extent. I have been to two shops in town and neither knows how to do it either, so I am waiting for SRAM to tell me how it's done. I will keep updating this thread just so somebody with a similar conundrum can refer to it.
    Boy I wish you were closer, I have not done that yet but know it can't be that difficult. I do know I applaud SRAM for providing spare parts for their products. I have rebuild their disk calipers and levers a bunch over the years. Something I have not been able to do easily with Shimano.

    Good luck, I hope this results in a good ending.

  5. #5
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,112
    Who knew my extensive knowledge of Avid SD brakes would turn out to be useful for anyone but myself?

    Basically, you pry it apart. Put a small flat-headed screw driver in where i've drawn the arrows on the photo and gently wiggle the bushing apart. You may need to move to a larger screwdriver as the gap gets larger.

    I use a vice to press it back together.

    Broken tab on Avid Single Digit Ti HELP!!!!-avid.jpg
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    353
    Thank you fishman! You've outsmarted Sram's entire service department.

    I managed to find a spare single digit 7 right arm for now but now that I know it can be done I will have to get those parts on order.

    Hopefully this thread will pop up for anybody who runs into the same problem.

  7. #7
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,112

    Broken tab on Avid Single Digit Ti HELP!!!!

    If you have any trouble finding the parts, I recently had to retire some SD Mags that were cracking. I took them apart and saved the hardware. I'd be willing to let some go for a modest fee.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    353
    For anybody who finds this thread, I was able to pop off the parts by placing a paring knife in between the silver housing and the brake arm as shown in fishman's picture. The rest of the assembly came out freely and I replaced it with parts ordered from SRAM. Total cost was about $20.

  9. #9
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,541
    Update for this thread. SRAM no longer carries small parts for Avid V brakes. I need the black part with the small tension bolt surrounding the part the OP broke. I found a spring tension kit for both sides which has the part, but its in Europe and cost is almost twenty bucks which isn't a problem, but the $45 shipping is.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  10. #10
    viva la v-brakes!
    Reputation: FishMan473's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,112
    I think its down to just having several sets of these brakes, and as they fail save the good parts to rebuild another set down the road. They come up on eBay pretty regularly if you need to buy some spare sets.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,816
    By the way, prying isn't the best way to take them apart. Us an appropriately sized punch, insert it into the pivot from the back of the brake, and tap out the black cap seen in the picture. To reassemble, just press everything back together, I usually use my vise with aluminum jaws.

    Slightly off topic, but the same thing can easily happen with Avid Black Ops v-brakes. On those, you can substitute the equivalent part from XTR v-brakes and a couple thin washers. The XTR part weighs a couple grams more, but it steel and won't have the same issue.

  12. #12
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,541
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    By the way, prying isn't the best way to take them apart. Us an appropriately sized punch, insert it into the pivot from the back of the brake, and tap out the black cap seen in the picture. To reassemble, just press everything back together, I usually use my vise with aluminum jaws.

    Slightly off topic, but the same thing can easily happen with Avid Black Ops v-brakes. On those, you can substitute the equivalent part from XTR v-brakes and a couple thin washers. The XTR part weighs a couple grams more, but it steel and won't have the same issue.
    I ended up finding and purchasing a SD 7 rebuild kit from a shop in the UK for under $25 shipped. The only parts that fit my Black Ops arms were black spring tensioners which were all I needed.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I ended up finding and purchasing a SD 7 rebuild kit from a shop in the UK for under $25 shipped. The only parts that fit my Black Ops arms were black spring tensioners which were all I needed.
    By the way, how do you like your Black Ops brakes?

Similar Threads

  1. Avid Single Digit Mag: what's the deal?
    By FishMan473 in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM
  2. AVID SINGLE DIGIT 7 with Alivio levers...? - will that work ?
    By rest in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2013, 04:37 AM
  3. how i can replace avid 7 single digit springs?
    By emaayan in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
  4. Avid Single Digit 7's
    By MTBerNick in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
  5. Avid Single Digit 7's
    By MTBerNick in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 08:54 PM

Members who have read this thread: 34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.