mtbr member
    May 2012

Broken Shimano BR-M445?

Took a spill today on the trail and the upper piston/plunger popped out on the brake lever. I was able to pop it back home and went immediately home as I wasn't sure how everything would be affected. I've attached photos of both brake levers. The one that came out is missing what looks like a washer and c-clip. Anyone know if I can get some replacement parts and if this is repairable? It seems like something I could even possible get off McMaster or something.

The bike is a 2012 Cannondale Trail SL3 26"
    The lever is a Shimano BL-M445.

The tech sheet doesn't give any specs so I'm guessing I'm SOL on this one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Shimano BR-M445?-ok.jpg  

Broken Shimano BR-M445?-notok.jpg  

mtbr member
    Given that this is the base model lever, it may be more cost effective to just buy a new lever and re-bleed the system. By the time you get the relevant clips, washers etc, you could end up paying more than the lever is worth.
    Could be a good excuse to upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oregoncurtis View Post
    Took a spill today on the trail and the upper piston/plunger popped out on the brake lever. I was able to pop it back home and went immediately home as I wasn't sure how everything would be affected. I've attached photos of both brake levers. The one that came out is missing what looks like a washer and c-clip. Anyone know if I can get some replacement parts and if this is repairable? It seems like something I could even possible get off McMaster or something.

The bike is a 2012 Cannondale Trail SL3 26"
    The lever is a Shimano BL-M445.

The tech sheet doesn't give any specs so I'm guessing I'm SOL on this one...
    Yup Shimano does not sell replacement parts for the brakes it is either warrentied or you have to replace....

If you have a good hardware store (metric) you might find some replacment parts there....I would upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What should I upgrade to? Deore XT? I was pretty happy with the performance of the branded one's so far.

I'm hoping to take it to the shop and see if I can get it replaced under warranty as I've only had the bike 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oregoncurtis View Post
    What should I upgrade to? Deore XT? I was pretty happy with the performance of the branded one's so far.

I'm hoping to take it to the shop and see if I can get it replaced under warranty as I've only had the bike 2 weeks.
    Oh yeah if the bike is that new they may very well just replace it for you that is the place to start....

XT is a very good choice.....so is what you have for that matter

I thought the bike was much older for some reason.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good news. I was able to salvage the retaining ring and found a replacement washer at work. Unfortunately it's not the exact correct size, nor the correct material (zinc plated steel vs. SST). It does fit though and I've taken the bike on a short ride and everything seems good. I had to remove a little brake fluid as the washer keeps the ball joint pushed in a little further than if I had the correct washer.

For anyone curious the correct washer size is what looks like an M4 x 12mm OD x 1mm thick washer. I used a #8 washer which is a little thicker and has an OD of about 11.5mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Shimano BR-M445?-parts.jpg  

Broken Shimano BR-M445?-fixed.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could always flatten the bad washer. I did that to a set of Hayes I bought used. The washers became conical after so many uses. I just flatten it with a hammer and they slid right back in.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Believe me I tried. It's pretty hard material.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    hydraulic press?