Thread: Broken Juicy 5!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Broken Juicy 5!

Well, I went to install my new juicy 5's on my new 5 spot (lots o' 5's in that sentence!) and I seem to have broken a nut. The line was a bit too long and it seemed a little twisted, no matter how many times I turned the lever and or caliper to try and get the hose un-torqued (if thats even a word?). So I decided to take the line off from the lever end to shorten the line. I took my 8mm wrench and proceeded to attempt to loosen the nut at the lever side of the line. I felt a little pop (really felt like a tight nut coming loose) then my wrench began to "spin". I looked down at the nut and it looked oval, then I saw the cracks. The nut looked like it had been crunched in a vice.

Anyone have this happen to them? I've had my fair share of stripped nuts, but I've never managed to crush one, especially when only trying to loosen the dang thing. Not sure if I can get it warrantied or not, but it seems like a defect, especially since the brakes were brand new.

fb

No, that's not phonetic
    I think a few people have squished the Juicy compression nut. Avid will send you a new brake, I imagine, because now the busted off parts of the nut are still stuck in the master cylinder.

That is NOT a place to save weight. Shame on avid.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yea I was pretty suprised...I mean the thing really looks like I smashed it and all I did was try to loosen it. Hopefully I can get in touch with them tomorrow to see what, if anything, can be done.

fb