don't move for trees

broken hayes nine

I was riding to day, and went down pretty hard and i think i hit my lever and busted a seal on the piston. I took the caliper apart, applied the brakes, and could see a little bit of air and brake fluding leaking from each side of the piston. After taking every thing apart, i was looking at the seals and they appear fine, but I am assuming i need to get some new ones?

I'll describe what happens to, incase you have some other input. When i hit the brakes it grabs at the normal point, then it slowly (2-3) seconds looses all of the stoping power, and when the lever is all the way down, there is no preasure.

If I can get some imput quick that would be great, I need to have it up and running for a race on sunday.

Thanks guys
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

Meh.
    You either have a leak or a bypass in the master cylinder. I really had no idea what you said in the rest of the post. Go to your shop, see if they've got a Hayes small parts kit. Or call around and find somebody that does. Otherwise you're stuck overnighting a brake from an online retailer. If it comes down to that... I wouldn't get another Hayes HFX-9. Atleast go with the Mag.

don't move for trees
    Damn, my buddy has a set of hayes 9s on his old bike, we're just gonna steal one of those calipers for the race then i'm gonna have my lbs check out mine and see whats up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    the same sort of thing happened to my hayes sole and i had to get a new lever but yours could be diffrent

don't move for trees
    I think I'm going to have to get a whole new brake set up. My friend says the lever is screwed (he's had this happen to him) and when i took the caliper apart to replace the piston/seals there were scratchs on it, and i was extra careful not to get any thing on them. Unfortunatly one of our mechanics broke his collar bone, so it may be a little while before some one knowledgeable can have a look at it

time to start shoppin for a new brake