Offroader

New question here. Broken Brake Lever / SRAM XX / Need Advice

Hi folks.. i just busted my left SRAM XX Brake lever.. i tried to search for a replacement SRAM brake lever but i could only find ones that are selling in full sets including the calipers and rotors...

Anybody know where i could get the just the SRAM XX Brake lever by itself? I don't have to have to buy a full set...

I saw an AVID brake lever on the SRAM website, would these brake lever fit the current SRAM XX brake system i have?

FR-5

My temporary solution

If just buying the brake lever to replace the broken lever is not possible.. i might think of switching to Shimano since they sell brake levers separately... anybody know whether a Shimano brake lever can fit a SRAM XX brake system?

Thanks for any advice

Twin Six METAL Team
    Have you spoken with your local bike shop? They might have a parts breakdown for SRAM components, and be able to order individual replacement parts. You might also be able to email one of the larger online retailers (Colorado Cyclist, Tree Fort Bikes, Speedgoat, etc) to see if they can help you out.

One of my former teammates in Omaha, NE broke his XX lever the same way, and I believe that our shop was able to purchase the individual part. We used to race for The Bike Way there in Omaha. You might be able to contact them for help as well...if your local shop isn't able to get the part.

The Bike Way - Omaha, NE - Specialized S-Works Santa Cruz Kona Yeti Moots

Good luck!

Chris

mtbr member
    ^ This. Get in touch with SRAM, probably through your LBS. Maybe even a direct email to them to see if it is possible, then go to your LBS if necessary.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Not exact matches, but at least you could pick one up to get riding with.

Universal Cycles -- Avid Master Cylinder/Lever Assemblies
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

He doesnt need a Lever , he needs the actually body as it looks from his pix.

Offroader
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post

Thanks for the input guys..

Are my current XX calipers/rotors compatible with these brake levers?

Offroader
    @ Chris & Shalom:

Unfortunately i live in Surabaya, Indonesia and the local SRAM distributor only sells these in complete sets including rotors & calipers, and i would have to get them in a pair which is a pain for me

Plays with tools
    This happened to a friend of mine about a month ago. I called Sram to investigate the possibility of a warranty. It's worth a phone call if your the original owner.

FWIW. The XX brake you have is going away and the only XX brake from here on out will be the World Cup edition. The version you and my friend have is being replaced by an Elixir branded brake. Supposedly it's the exact same thing in different colors.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Hope you could solve yours, I had exactly the same accident

I experienced the same issue yesterday...

Really crappy, I started sending some e-mails to vendors, but I find that most of them have posted on their webpage the newer models, and mine like the one posted here is a 2012 non-world cup Avid XX.

This is one of them as an example:
    https://www.bti-usa.com/public/manuf.../AV/BR/?page=3

Any new suggestion?

Broken Brake Lever / SRAM XX / Need Advice-broken-avid-xx-2-.jpgBroken Brake Lever / SRAM XX / Need Advice-broken-avid-xx.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I got a reply from BTI, they told me that I could get the part through a LBS.

I also got a call back from SRAM, they said that the XO Trail Brake Master Cylinder/Lever could work with the XX caliper. I would have to request any of the parts through my LBS

Now... spending $150 on just the handle, I could spend more and get a new set of Formula's or Magura's or something better...