mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Broken adjustment screw - how do I remove it?

Hi everyone. I am fixing a very old (1990?) bike with cantilever brakes.
    I was replacing the housings when I realized that one of the adjustment screws wasn't turning. I tryied again and it snapped.
    Luckily I was able to find a replacement screw.
    However, I am unable to remove the old one. I have tryied with a screwdriver but it doesn't turn.
    I would like to fix these levers since they are cantilever type and hard to find.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Disc~Golf~
    have you tried a good soak w/ some liquid wrench or other penetrating oil?
    you might also try freezing it - the 'barrel' part will likely shrink more than the housing.
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It appears to be a victim of electrolytic corrosion, by virtue of dissimilar metals in contact with each other. You might try soaking in ammonia, which is effective in releasing steel and aluminum parts frozen together.

After a good long soak, if it begins to move, spray it with a penetrating oil such as liquid wrench, or Kroil, before trying to unscrew it all the way. Removing dry corroded parts often leaks to seizing halfway through, as some material flakes off and jams.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

~Disc~Golf~
    Ammonia huh?? I'll have to try that the next time I run into some galvanic corrosion
    I use that stuff for all kinds of uses...thanks for showin' me one more!
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sometimes you can drill these things out. Start with the smallest drill bit that still takes away some material, and work your way up. Sometimes you can take away enough material this way that the remaining part of the bolt will just break.

Also, try drilling it out with a reverse-threaded bit.

But try these after you try the above suggestions - they're a lot less likely to result in destroying your brake lever.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

... and if we just ...

Solved! Thanks again guys!

I completely dissasembled the lever, then sprayed it with penetrating oil, then drilled it from the back. The screw came out rather easily.