mtbr member
    Sep 2012

broke hayes dyno sport lever

I was on a ride last week and had a crash and my brake lever snapped. It did not mess up anything but the lever, I can pull what is left of the lever and the brakes still work good.

I have a 2013 Trek Mamba with Hayes Dyno Sport Hydrolic disc brakes.

I looked on Hayes website and saw these.

Carbon Lever | Hayes Disc Brake

Only question I really have is how to take the old lever off and put these on. I was looking at the brake assembly tonight and could not quite figure it out. Has anyone done this before? or is this even the right lever to look at ordering

If you look at the picture on this link

Dyno Sport | Hayes Disc Brake

You can see the black part that is screwed on, when I took this top off I could see the part where the lever pivots at but did not know how to release the lever or take it off.

The LBS told me they would have to order a whole new system and I find that kind of ridiculous spending over 100 bucks for just breaking the brake lever

Thanks for the help in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was told that you have to get a whole new lever when I did that to my dyno comp. Its pop riveted in place instead of using a screw. Instead of paying for a whole brake, I just upgraded SLX, which has replaceable levers (I think).

However, I think that Jenson has levers/master cylinder only for about $50. Or maybe check ebay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Contact Hayes CS - I had a similar situation and they fixed me up with replacement levers.

Removal required a magnet to "lift" a pin from the master cylinder to remove the lever. IIRC they provided an instruction sheet with the replacement levers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks for the help, i called hayes and they helped me out with the levers, i just need to get someone to bleed the brakes.

Is it worth it to buy the bleed kit or just get the shop to do it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you've never bled brakes before and the shop has experience with these then have them do it. The Hayes kit is overkill (has lots of fittings you don't need) and the squeeze bottles they give you are kind of a kludge but they'll work.