mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Broke the Brake Pad Pin, Is It Necessary?

I have an Avid Elixir 3, and while I was trying to remove the pin that clamps onto the brake caliper and pads bolt, it snapped in half. I'd like to know if that pin is absolutely necessary. I know it's there just in case the bolt becomes loose, but how often does that happen as long as I tighten it down?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been running without one for the last six months, but I put blue loctite on the threads. There's no actual load on the bolt; it just keeps the pads where they're supposed to be so it doesn't need to be very tight.

They never seem to come undone, but....if you don't have any blue loctite it's time to get some.

I've never had one come loose. As I recall, new ones come with a set of pads. Your bike store probably has a drawer full of used ones. If you're really stuck, I can look for one out in the garage. If I find one, you can have it for a self-addressed stamped envelope.

mtbr member

Broke the Brake Pad Pin, Is It Necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    I've been running without one for the last six months, but I put blue loctite on the threads. There's no actual load on the bolt; it just keeps the pads where they're supposed to be so it doesn't need to be very tight.

They never seem to come undone, but....if you don't have any blue loctite it's time to get some.
    Same here. Just add a little loctite to the little threads on the bolt and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

human dehumidifier
    You talking about that little E-clip that goes on the end of the bolt? If so you can get those at a hardware store, just take the bolt with you and look in the small parts drawers. Safety wire is another alternative. But yeah, you only need it if the bolt comes loose, and that's not very likely.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the help guys.

What's the pin called at hardware stores? Going to see if they have them at Home Depot

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cotter pin

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    cotter pin
    Thank you!!!!!

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    cotter pin
    I used an e-clip. The factory part is an e-clip bent over at the top. It goes like this in the slot at the end of the pin

A cotter pin requires a hole to pass through in order to work. You stick it through the hole and spread the legs (hubba hubba)

The right sized hair pin would work too.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hmm, my brakes most definitely have a cotter pin in them. but any of those should work.

human dehumidifier
    this is a photo of the factory repair parts, the clips are very similar to an e-clip with the top bent over to make it easier to grab