mtbr member

Brembo MTB brakes?

Hey, has anyone here tried the new Brembo MTB brakes? I saw them on a 666 yesterday at the Marzocchi booth and wondered if they were any good? The brake line diameter and lever body were relatively large and they looked beefy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by islander
    Hey, has anyone here tried the new Brembo MTB brakes? I saw them on a 666 yesterday at the Marzocchi booth and wondered if they were any good? The brake line diameter and lever body were relatively large and they looked beefy.
    Yes I tried them and, believe me, they are absolute fantastic.
    The only problem I see is the price

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teigrub
    Yes I tried them and, believe me, they are absolute fantastic.
    The only problem I see is the price
    What sort of price are they estimated at? Or is it pure speculation at this point?

Gravity Rides Everything
    Link?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    How about a pic instead?

Pic by Photo John

Click for more info:

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.ph...cat=all&page=1

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    What sort of price are they estimated at? Or is it pure speculation at this point?
    As far as I know they will cost around 1.000 euros (or 1.200 USD) for the complete set (front + rear)

mtbr member
    As far as I know they will cost around 1.000 euros (or 1.200 USD) for the complete set (front + rear)
    That is a CRAZY price. I love spending money, but I need to draw the line somewhere. I think they want to try and recover all of their R&D investment in the first 6 months.......

"El Whatever"
    Are they nuts?????

For that price you can buy a set of brakes for a Jumbo Jet!!!!!

Hey, they have a brake for almost any moving thing in the world and they are charging a grand for a pair of brakes???

If they don't want to sell them... they rather say it that way...
    Check my Site

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    If that's really the price than they will get exactly what they deserve--a flop. That's about 2.3 x the price of Hope Mono 6 Ti's, which offer more power and fade resistance than anyone needs.

Seriously, other than the "Wow, are those Brembos?" factor, (which, BTW, is not worth much) what are they offering that the competition does not for that extra $700.00?

Recovering couch patato
    Bear in mind I know nothing about Brembo as a company.
    But could it be that their race department is doing the brakes, not the production department? Just a longshot here, but if the brakes are built with the same quality that answers demands of MX and Motorbike road racing, perhaps these could be the first truly ideal discbrakes to hit the bicycle market?
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Gravity Rides Everything
    way too expensive, and they don't look too impressive... I doubt they're any better than hope's mono6Ti.
    Looks like a brake targeted at yuppies who hardly ever ride.

"El Whatever"

They don't look....

.... like Manitpoo compatible either.... so this limits even more their application.

Shame on it... I was waiting so long Brembo would hit the market. BTW, aren't Formulas made at Brembo or Brembo made at Formula factory???

****edit**** Not Formula but Grimeca
    Last edited by Warp; 08-09-2004 at 09:43 AM. Reason: correction....
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Look to find them on OE spec...

...private label Porsche MTBs that are sold as part of a complete "Extreme" package including overpriced OE roof racks and related accessories for the Cayenne.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr remember
    That is ridiculous, I hope I see some yuppie tool riding w/ those so I can burn him. Those rotors in the pic look similar to the Hope M6ti rotors.
    Where did you hear that Grimecas are made by brembo? Didn't grimeca make the Sram and XT disc calipers?
    Schralp it Heavy.

"El Whatever"

I don't remember...

but I guess it was an spanish mag. They took a tour at the grimeca factory and yes, they manufacture brakes for some companies and I barely remember Brembo was included. This is why I posted it as a question more than an afirmation.

It could be and being grimeca such a big brake and wheels manufacturer it wouldn't surprise me.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

No way.

No way these things cost that much. That's a cheap two piece design caliper that if not for the silkscreened Brembo logo I would have pegged for a low price Hayes knock off.

I saw these in person at SEMA in Vegas last month and the lever/master cylinder looks ridiculous.. I'ts huge, it looks like it weighs a ton and it's overkill. Obviously it wasn't designed with a bicycle application in mind.

I would sensibly put retail at $150.00 maybe $200.00 per wheel (the rotor at least looks decent)

WTF Brembo??

hands up who wants to die
    Does that photo show a Hope rotor? or is the Brembo rotor just exactly like the 6Ti?

-r

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rpet
    Does that photo show a Hope rotor? or is the Brembo rotor just exactly like the 6Ti?

-r
    Brembo's. Floating too.
    Check my Site

mtbr member

No deal..

But could it be that their race department is doing the brakes, not the production department?
    Not likely. If it was from the "race department" it would utilize their monoblock construction as ALL high end brakes do. The monoblock design has been around in professional applications for the last five or six years. It appeared within the mountain bike community with the introduction of Hope's Mono line last year with Hayes following suit in '05 with their El Camino line (Magura also uses a monoblock design that may pre date Hope).

For those that don't know:

The 2 Piece design is heavier (has to be bolted together), and is subject to flex as well as leaking, hydraulic veins not lining up properly, etc.

The monoblock design suffers from none of the above as the caliper is machined from one solid piece of material.

The two piece design caliper is definitely cheaper to produce but it doesn't appear Brembo reflects that in their prices.

$1000.00 a set for such dated technology (two piece design) is just plain ridiculous. At that price Brembo is hoping the mountain bike community doesn't know any better (what a slap in the face). Sad thing is, they may be right.

The first picture below is the Brembo standard, two piece four piston caliper. It retails for around $220 a caliper . The second is the top of line Brembo monobloc four piston caliper. It retails for around $1900.00 a caliper.

What I had hoped to see from Brembo was a scaled down version of their monoblock motorcycle brakes. Instead we get a circa 2002 Hayes copy. For $1000.00.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GGAllen; 12-19-2004 at 12:18 PM.

Uhhhhh...
    WTF People? This thread is over 4 months old and nothing new has been discovered about the brakes.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just for the heck of it, can somebody get me a link for these brakes, I'm kinda interested now, about what these brakes are all about. Not that I'm going to buy them.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

-Ricko, mtbr member