mtbr member

Brembo Brakes for MTB

I heard that Brembo is working on brakes for MTB... any info?
    Attached Images Attached Images

TLL
    mtbr member
    Think they have been working on them for a while; going on perhaps two years. Lots of info can be found with a google search.

Perhaps some day they will make it to market. If they do, they won't be cheap.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

What could go wrong ...
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Village Idiot
    Wow. Brembo is not messing around. I guess a close match would be Formula, But then again Brembo has been around for a while. I figure if the can stop an 1100cc superbike. They can surely handle any trail bike.
    Pretending to be a hard-core cyclist since 1991.

banned
    Every couple of weeks another thread asking about them comes up and then usually someone (usually me) talks about how it's vaporware that completely missed the boat because they were closer to Grimecas than anything else, along with obviously being designed by idiots that aren't mountainbikers, as evidenced by the fact that they used hardware not suitable for mtb applications for a variety of reasons.

Then people post the website, which has been static now since the beginning, but they say "WOW, THESE ARE GOING TO BE GREAT, BECAUSE BREMBO DOESN'T MESS AROUND!!!".

Actually, they do mess around. They make lots of OEM stuff for cars. Ask about how many people got shafted with Brembo oem rotors that had braking tracks that peeled away from the carrier under heat.

Quote Originally Posted by DominickTranceX1
    Wow. Brembo is not messing around. I guess a close match would be Formula, But then again Brembo has been around for a while. I figure if the can stop an 1100cc superbike. They can surely handle any trail bike.
    You do know that they aren't the same brakes they make for sportbikes that go on mtbs? You know we have different needs, right?

Brembo is messing around and that's why they are still vaporware.

banned
    Oh yeah, to the OP, what's up with all these threads that are all over the place about your braking needs?

Surely a consolidated one with your needs laid out and the choices would be more fruitful, no?

Village Idiot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Every couple of weeks another thread asking about them comes up and then usually someone (usually me) talks about how it's vaporware that completely missed the boat because they were closer to Grimecas than anything else, along with obviously being designed by idiots that aren't mountainbikers, as evidenced by the fact that they used hardware not suitable for mtb applications for a variety of reasons.

Then people post the website, which has been static now since the beginning, but they say "WOW, THESE ARE GOING TO BE GREAT, BECAUSE BREMBO DOESN'T MESS AROUND!!!".

Actually, they do mess around. They make lots of OEM stuff for cars. Ask about how many people got shafted with Brembo oem rotors that had braking tracks that peeled away from the carrier under heat.
    o

You do know that they aren't the same brakes they make for sportbikes that go on mtbs? You know we have different needs, right?

oh well. I guess that excitement is over. I'll just stick with what I got. But still cool to say the least. And yes I know the motorcycle and bike brakes are different. The Brembo rotors are made in china anyway.
    Pretending to be a hard-core cyclist since 1991.

banned
    Yep, despite that article saying otherwise, Brembo clearly couldn't even get the hardware right from MTBer's needs, and the article was so off on so many points, that it's hard to not believe that it was written by Brembo themselves, posted as a ringer. Talking about stuff that didn't exist, such as how nice and expensive it looked and the quality of the hardware. Maybe they were looking at Hopes?

If they couldn't even figure out what mtbers need on the trail, in terms of the hardware, how can they be trusted to know about how to make the brakes work for mtbers? Phillips head screws and conventional bolts? Great, now you'll have to worry about stripping a phillips screw when you pull the reservoir, and now you have to carry a box wrench in case the pivot loosens on the MC. Just dumb on all accounts and they thought mtbers would recognize the name and see the price and not fall for it?

They looked to have more than a passing resemblance to Grimeca brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Actually one of the writers on descent-world.co.uk had a pair on test. I think they got them into production..briefly but the cost was 400 GBP per end and as there are many amazing brakes out there for less than half that, the project seems to have fizzled.

For those that are interested

http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index...=523&Itemid=82

mtbr member
    Here are some more pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Mojo http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=477532

When only the finest will do... www.iClique.com

Meh.
    Yep, despite that article saying otherwise, Brembo clearly couldn't even get the hardware right from MTBer's needs, and the article was so off on so many points, that it's hard to not believe that it was written by Brembo themselves, posted as a ringer. Talking about stuff that didn't exist, such as how nice and expensive it looked and the quality of the hardware. Maybe they were looking at Hopes?

If they couldn't even figure out what mtbers need on the trail, in terms of the hardware, how can they be trusted to know about how to make the brakes work for mtbers? Phillips head screws and conventional bolts? Great, now you'll have to worry about stripping a phillips screw when you pull the reservoir, and now you have to carry a box wrench in case the pivot loosens on the MC. Just dumb on all accounts and they thought mtbers would recognize the name and see the price and not fall for it?

They looked to have more than a passing resemblance to Grimeca brakes.
    I agree about the hardware. Though Shimano uses phillips head screws for their reservoir caps as well. The whole thing looks very unfinished. And the adapter situation is not very well thought out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They look pretty burly.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Buzzkill.

Judging by the forks those calipers are mounted on, I'd say those photos are a couple of years old.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Nothing a Marta SL setup won't cure...

banned
    Yeah, I don't know what the deal is with reposting the pics, since we've all seen them in just about every WOW BREMBO! thread since 2006 or so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'll stick with hopes.