Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brembo

mtbr member

Out Of Control
    Question is will they really be available to the publlic....at a hefty price i'm sure. Good to see them expanding into mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I saw the brakes in that picture at Whistler last summer. Super sick. Talked with the rep who was removing the brakes from Wade's bike, he said the main problem is gonna be $$$ -- they are trying to get them down to $1000 per wheel. Ouch. But they may just be worth it....

"El Whatever"
    No brake is worth 1000 bucks.... period (well, for a MTB). Even 500 bux should be hyper steep if you consider you can have a pair of Gustavs for the same price.

Brembo is a respectable mfgr. and I like seeing its interest on MTB... but they need to "land" their engineering/marketing people if they want to be strong.
    Check my Site

I already rode that
    I remember when Hayes entered the market and everyone was saying how good they were. mainly cause they were used on Harleys. Now look what ppl say about them.
    If brembo can offer better brakes for about the same price as the competition then they will def be worth it. Up till they are out and some ppl actually logged some good miles ( not new itemitist) on them then we'll see if they are good or not.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The press release "details" describe most brakes currently on the market.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr remember
    mainly cause they were used on Harleys.
    why would anybody say something is good (esp. performance wise) because it is used on a Harley??
    $1000 a wheel, now c'mon, that is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That's waaay more expensive than dirtbike, or probably even a superbike. Imagine seeing some shmoe riding down the trail w/ those things, either he better be pro, or he better be on a frickin' KTM or something.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Got Doubles? Pun Intended

On my bike already

Everything Brembo makes is the best in it's class.
    The same goes for these.

The technology and design of these brakes is taken directly from the highest level of Motorsports.
    Thats what you're paying for.
    Take a look at the float hardware on the rotors....same as used in World Superbike.
    The levers are just like the radial master cylinders used by Ducatti.
    This is trick stuff.

Does anyone really need it....???...probably not....if people are spending over $1500 on a fork...$800 on wheels....$2000 on a frame...why wouldn't you spend it on an item that is guarateed to make you faster??
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderizzle
    The same goes for these.

The technology and design of these brakes is taken directly from the highest level of Motorsports.
    Take a look at the float hardware on the rotors....same as used in World Superbike.
    This is trick stuff.

Does anyone really need it....???...probably not....if people are spending over $1500 on a fork...$800 on wheels....$2000 on a frame...why wouldn't you spend it on an item that is guarateed to make you faster??
    Do you work for Bembo? If so is there anyone in the Vancouver/Whistler that is carrying the product/replacement parts (ie pads)?

Who are the brain police?
    Two questions.. Does it stop 3.5 times better than a Gustav to be worth 3.5 times the price? Does anyone want a brake that stops 3.5 times better than a Gustav?

I'm sure the Brembo is a sweet brake, but until economies of scale kicks in.. its going to be a brake for the sponsored crowd.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Two questions.. Does it stop 3.5 times better than a Gustav to be worth 3.5 times the price? Does anyone want a brake that stops 3.5 times better than a Gustav?

I'm sure the Brembo is a sweet brake, but until economies of scale kicks in.. its going to be a brake for the sponsored crowd.

I dunno, between the Brembo brakes and the new X.0 trigger shifters I can almost double the cost of my bike.......

The same goes for these.

This is trick stuff.

"...guarateed to make you faster??" Big claim.
    Moto technology does not necessarily translate well to bicycles.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    "...guarateed to make you faster??" Big claim.
    Moto technology does not necessarily translate well to bicycles.

Does that mean I should re-consider attaching that 450 4-stroke onto my FSR?

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Does that mean I should re-consider attaching that 450 4-stroke onto my FSR?
    Oh, yes! A 650 would be much better!
    mtbtires.com

Gravity Rides Everything
    1000 bucks a wheel eh?

I'm just not seeing it. I can already lock up (or more importantly not lock up) my wheels whenever i want with my mono M4's. those are 200 a wheel. there's no way these brembos are five times better. or even twice.

looks like a case of buying the name to me.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    1000 bucks a wheel eh?

I'm just not seeing it. I can already lock up (or more importantly not lock up) my wheels whenever i want with my mono M4's. those are 200 a wheel. there's no way these brembos are five times better. or even twice.

looks like a case of buying the name to me.
    Dosen't matter what you buy in the world of bikes you're always buying a name.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

its certainly the most expensive, no matter what, there are better brake systems out there, ( for Motorcycles as well as Cars )

so what ? I raced cars for a long time in my life. Its a lot of hype, a lot of cheatin, a lot of who has the deepest pocket, and has NOTHING to do with bicycles...

plush offices, big fast cars , all kinds of motorcycles floating around ???
    I dont know, I hate to pay for other peoples hobbies...

same as the 10 year old Formula Evolution brake rotors ??? well they didnt work so well, thats why Formula changed 6 years ago to one piece rotors....

This is trick stuff.

same radial as Formula, Magura,Hayes ??? Reach adjust ? Piston actuation point adjust, Power adjust , I assume ... or maybe not ?

You are implying that the brake has superior power AND modulation over all other disc brakes ? Hmm very well... I aplaud their entry into the bike market. Competition sharpens the mind and doesnt let anybody rest on their laurels. Thats good.

Brakemeister ....

83 feet less per minute
    Jun 2004
    That rear rotor looks amazingly like my Hope rear rotor. Just an observation.
    Want to ride in this life and the next? Ask me how.

mtbr remember
    yeah, the rotors don't look to be any better or that much different in design than Hopes aluminum carrier rotor, which for 2005 comes w/ all Mono models from Mini up to M6ti, which are a fraction of the cost, and by no means any less in quality or performance.
    I think it has too much to do w/ yuppies who seem to be very "gotta have" when it comes to seeing a familiar name brand. Probably not as cheezy as those Porsche or Benz bikes, but still the same idea, your paying for ego.

and as Brakemeister mentioned, do they have any type of pad adjust, modulation adjust, even lever reach? These are not things that are needed in the Motorcycle or car biz, but become much more relative in the mtb side of things. and yeah, not to mention finding replacement pads or parts, good luck.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    A couple of excellent points have been raised. I just called my LBS and cancelled my brembo order. Purchased a nice bell for my handlebars instead.....

"El Whatever"
    The same goes for these.
    Could be. Anyway Galfer/Magura/Hope/Shimano/Avid offer a similar product at similar performance for a fourth of the cost.

Same for your average car, motorcycle, etc. Trechnology used at today's MTB's Brembos is the same as Motorsports Brembos of 20 years ago. Carbon-Ceramic brakes can't be used on MTB's (not enough temp) so don't even try to compare a Superbike/F1/MotoGP bike brake with a MTB brake.

Nah... you're just paying for their R&D costs and for Brembo owner can spend his life at somewhere in the Greek Islands with gorgeous women and Ferraris.

Same as Hope's. Why haven't Brembo been able to produce a Wave rotor (that works) as Galfer??

This is trick stuff.
    Do those have reach adjustment, contact point adjustment and modulation adjustment just like the top-of-the-shelf MTB Brakes?? Can they break easily at a crash at a point that wouldn't compromise the lever use like the average MTB brake??

I'm sure the stuff is trick... a marketing trick.

I agree with you that probably nobody needs them.... when you can get a pair of Hope six piston brakes for some 600 bux. Why a racer would spend 2000 on a pair of Brembos when he can have the same braking off from some Hope Mono6 Ti at some 600 bux?? Saving 1400 can buy you (as you said) a new fork, a replacement frame, two sets of wheels or countless parts. Not to mention you can have some dough to spare in case you end-up at the ER or paying fees for some races. 1400 savings can easily pay you for one or two races at least.

These brakes make only sens if they're for free as of now.

Don't doubt though, that if they drop their prices to a "believable" 500-400 per unit there would be hordes of people raving about how good these brakes are.

Cheapo as I am, I wouldn't buy them until they reach the 150 dolar mark. I could easily lock/modulate with my old vees and my Avid mechs were almost overkill for average riding.
    Check my Site

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    You guys are all right....I just didn't feel like typing that long of a response.

Brembo produced these brakes for fun.
    A couple people spoke really big about how many sets they could if Brembo made this a real kit.
    **** I sold 10 kits last month and I didn't think I'd sell more than 2.

Here's the deal. When you see these in person it's easier to under stand where the money goes. When these go full production the cost will come down. How much...I don't know.
    They may change the materials a bit....they may go to casting rather than machining...these are all things that can shave big money off of low production or prototype like manufacturing.

And yes the levers have reach adjustment and contact adjustment. The levers also have breakaway ends so in the event of a crash the lever is still usable. Just like in Moto.

As of right now there is no justification for these brakes at that price except for the few that want something no one else has.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    you want to go faster? guaranteed?
    don't use your brakes. any brakes. that's faster, i tell ya' and it's free.
    brakes slow you down.
    no way i would pay anything close to that price tag, even though they are aesthetically beautiful.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Radial mounted......yea with I/S adapters....LOL

They are just trying to sell to the moto crowd that already have brembos on their KTM's and Gas Gas's.

Just curious what he paid for his
    Pat T.

"El Whatever"
    You guys are all right....I just didn't feel like typing that long of a response.

Brembo produced these brakes for fun.
    A couple people spoke really big about how many sets they could if Brembo made this a real kit.
    **** I sold 10 kits last month and I didn't think I'd sell more than 2.

Here's the deal. When you see these in person it's easier to under stand where the money goes. When these go full production the cost will come down. How much...I don't know.
    They may change the materials a bit....they may go to casting rather than machining...these are all things that can shave big money off of low production or prototype like manufacturing.

And yes the levers have reach adjustment and contact adjustment. The levers also have breakaway ends so in the event of a crash the lever is still usable. Just like in Moto.

As of right now there is no justification for these brakes at that price except for the few that want something no one else has.
    Nice to know... you should've started there before we all started beatching. My apologies for the bashing but I thought you were being really serious about the brakes justifiying the 1000 mark.

A nice touch would be replacing the acutal hose for a braided one (read: Goodridge). Those are the preferred ones over here as far as I had read.

It seems you have contact with Brembo somehow and I guess all the answers you got here are worth hearing when the brakes hit the market.

There are some people who would pay a premium for a set of brakes for exclusivity, performance, hyper, you name it... but the gross of the crowd looks for a powerful, yet modulable brake which needs little maintenance and have a contained price (100-180 bucks per wheel??). Hard to get?? I don't think it's hard to get for Brembo.
    Check my Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast