mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Braking or Brake Authority rotors

Has anyone tried them before?
    I heard that they are an upgrade for rotors but I can't see how much more you can actually upgrade a rotor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone used them before?

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I use them for the past year and have been very happy with them. I have found them to be very quite with my Hayes Prime Pro brakes.I use the semi-floating aggressive model. I think they look amazing and I get compliments on them all the time. I have never seen anyone else with them so it makes my wheels look unique. Are they an upgrade over other Brands? probably not. If you find them for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to try them. They are made my a motorcycle brake company with lots of experience and a good rep.
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

b a n n e d
    I just saw them at Sea Otter and they have a new design for 2013 with a slightly different cutout pattern. But the rotors themselves look very good. I plan to give em a whirl.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    I use them for the past year and have been very happy with them. I have found them to be very quite with my Hayes Prime Pro brakes.I use the semi-floating aggressive model. I think they look amazing and I get compliments on them all the time. I have never seen anyone else with them so it makes my wheels look unique. Are they an upgrade over other Brands? probably not. If you find them for a good price I wouldn't hesitate to try them. They are made my a motorcycle brake company with lots of experience and a good rep.
    Does yours rust easily? I have a friend tell me they are very prone to rusting due to the high iron content which gives them the great stopping power.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I have had them for a year with no rust. I store my bike in my garage and it is fairly dry most of the time in Colorado. I do wash my bike after every ride and put it away wet. This last weekend I was driving back from a road trip through mountains with my bike on the back of my car and the roads were snowy and icy, so DOT sprayed their chemicals/salt on the road. The next day when I washing my bike I did notice some rust on the back side of the floating rivet that wasn't anodized but the rest of the rotor still looks good.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by g1701gst View Post
    I have had them for a year with no rust. I store my bike in my garage and it is fairly dry most of the time in Colorado. I do wash my bike after every ride and put it away wet. This last weekend I was driving back from a road trip through mountains with my bike on the back of my car and the roads were snowy and icy, so DOT sprayed their chemicals/salt on the road. The next day when I washing my bike I did notice some rust on the back side of the floating rivet that wasn't anodized but the rest of the rotor still looks good.
    Good enough for me . . . my rotors RARELY see water.

My only concern is the noise . . . I've had experiences in the past with cutouts that dip below the brake track (e.g., an older Avid style) that created a popping noise each time the rotor passed the cutout. Do you ever notice anything like that?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    I haven't had any noise problems at all with these rotors. quiet, smooth and still a lot of power. I think they are much better/quieter than the formula and shimano rotors I have used in the past(or could have been the brakes...).
    Last edited by g1701gst; 04-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.