mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Brakes Unaligned During Each Ride

Problem I have been encountering each time I go on a slightly intermediate level single track course. Halfway through my ride I always seem to notice that my front brake disc is rubbing on the break pads ever so slightly. I stop my ride and then unlock my front wheel and realign the brake disc and all is well for only like 10 or so more minutes of riding before I have to do it again. I know this is a problem mostly dealing with the wheel and not the break components themselves but I figured I would ask on here to see if anyone can remedy my problem.

What can I do to make it so this doesn't happen every time I ride on rocky/bumpy terrain? My bike is a Trek Marlin 29er, with tektro novela disc brakes if that info is needed. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Check to see if the rotor is warped by watching it go through the pads. This is likely the problem due to only one pad moving. Also how close is your inside pad to the rotor? This will determine how much the rotor must flex to make contact, which can cause the rotor to warp. Also check that the wheel is firmly in the dropouts as this could change alignment if it shifts during the ride.

I have these brakes and it happens occasionally, but doesn't rub the whole way around so I just ride on and fix it later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't think that it is warped, it's more like my wheel gets unaligned and thus so does the brake disc. Not at home right now to double check but typically I have about .5mm clearance on both sides of my disc.

Yeah when it happens it rarely if even rubs all the way around the disc, more like just lightly scrapes on 1/5 of it making a metalic sliding noise periodically while the wheel moves and during hard impacts on the wheel. It doesn't rub the whole way around and it really doesn't slow my wheel enough to notice. I feel that if i didn't fix it through out my ride that it wound't really matter since the brakes still work perfectly fine and the rubbing isn't providing any motion resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Might want to check the tightness of your quick release on the front wheel. It shouldn't move too much, even with bumps and impacts. Another thing you can do is align everything, then put the bike upright on the wheels and open then close the quick release. This should settle it into the dropouts fully, which can be hard to do in a repair stand or if the bike is upside down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks I'll give that a try on my ride this week.

How tight should I have the lever lock on my fork? I've heard people say that there should be enough resistance pushing it closed to make a mark on your hand, but maybe I should be adjusting it to be just slightly harder?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's about how tight mine is, I would say. Don't want to go too tight, but might try a quarter turn more or so.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome, i'll give all that a try. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Brakes Unaligned During Each Ride

I've been having the same problem as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any chance the paint where the hub ends and qr biting points have paint chipping off below them? Had a friend that claimed such and issue, and removing the paint from the dropout helped. You clamp, and it flakes off sort of deal.
    I think this was on a Rock Shox fork of about mid 2000s vintage.