mtbr member
    Nov 2004

brakes that squeal and the wildlife that suffers

Here's the deal, I installed some Avid SD7 brakes on my karate monkey and the front brake is squealing enough to scare the wildlife out of the woods.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. installed per instructions, pads parallel to rim. result: squealing, loud squealing.
    2. toed the pads in a little. result: same squealing
    3. took wheel out, inspected pads. looked like uneven wear. sanded the pads a little and re-aligned parallel to rims, made sure the whole pad contacts the rim. result: same squealing.
    4. searched the mtbr.com forums for "brake squeal" and found several posts of similar issues with a variety of solutions. toe the pads out, set them parallel, yada yada. none of which seem to work.
    5. uninstalled the SD7, installed a known good XT front brake. did all the same different setups, it squeals, too.

When I pull the lever hard it feels like the front pulses a little, i can see and feel the fork flex ( fore and aft), then the squeal kicks in. if i pull the lever lightly and roll the bike i can make a constant squeal.

also, the rear brake has a similar pulse feel but no squeal. both rims are fairly new and true.

here is the setup:
    avid single digit 7 calipers
    shimano xt v levers
    xtr cables/housing
    rigid surly karate monkey fork
    black wtb dual duty rim on surly disc hub
    wtb nanoraptor tires ( i am pretty sure this has nothing to do with vibration from tires )

based off my research i think it has to be the rims. not sure how to fix it short of, well, new rims.

anyone have similar issues or know what I should try next?

the wildlife thanks you in advance.

Meh.
    Try cleaning the rims and sanding the pads a bit. Set up the pads with a bit of toe. If it squeals with toe, try no toe, or even reverse toe. If it still squeals, try different pads. Koolstop dual compound pads have worked well for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Try cleaning the rims and sanding the pads a bit. Set up the pads with a bit of toe. If it squeals with toe, try no toe, or even reverse toe. If it still squeals, try different pads. Koolstop dual compound pads have worked well for me.
    thanks for the response. i tried cleaning the rim, no dice. i have tried all of the toe configurations to no avail.
    i guess i will try the koolstops, kinda sucks to replace brand new pads. oh well, should have kept the disc brakes

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    koolstop salmon pads did the trick. they let out one awful squeal on the first pull of the lever but have been silent since.

Meh.
    Glad to hear it! Now enjoy that bike!