mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Brakes Rub w/ Juicy Five

I'm running a Juicy Five on the front of my Chameleon (Fox fork). I'm noticing a lot of brake rub when I spin the wheel.

When I searched the forum about this problem, most threads say to recenter the caliper. I've done that six times (per Avids directions) and I still get brake rub.

It seems like the pads are not going back into the caliper far enough when I release the lever.

Short of going back to mechanical brakes, is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,
    LeonD

...idios...
    Try centering the caliper, minus pads, visually, rather than using the loosen-pull lever-tighten technique. Then push both pistons fully back into the caliper, refit pads and try again.

How old is the brake? When was it last bled (don't assume that a new brake is properly bled)? Have you checked for rotor flex (lateral movement) when you pull the lever?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Meh.
    In addition to Steve's suggestions...

Is the wheel fully in and properly secured in the dropouts? Does the wheel have any play? Have the side to side adjustments of the caliper been maxed out? Is the rotor out of true?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys.

The rotor is almost perfectly true. And if it did have a high / low spot, the drag is constant.

The brakes are maybe 18 months old but have not seen that much use. And they've never been bled.

I did try the visual centering. Then I pushed the pistons in. And they went WAY in. I put the wheel on and there was a very slight rub. So I tried the recommended way of centering and it came out much better.

Before if I spun the wheel I'd get maybe three or four revolutions before it'd stop. Now it's too many to count.

I'm not sure why pushing the pistons in made a difference. Maybe there was some crud in there that needed to get pushed out. I did notice once I put it back together, there was a lot of lever travel the first few times I used the brakes.

I just took it out for an hour ride and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for the help,
    LeonD