mtbr member

Brakes for Pedi-cab?

I am restoring 2 bicycle pedi-cabs and I would like some input as to what I should upgrade the brakes to.

These cabs have 3 wheels and will accomodate 2 people other than the driver. We went the "restored" route thinking this is better for the local environment than buying brand new cabs.

I am thinking about redoing the front wheels so I can have them built for disc's. However I am unsure what the braking percentage, or how much load, can this front wheel achieve.

There are old foot brakes for the back. If I purchased the strongest disc brakes possible for the front and kept the rear foot brakes, would this provide ample stopping power?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

ballbuster

Depends on the hills where you plan to work, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by nuttymtbr
    I am restoring 2 bicycle pedi-cabs and I would like some input as to what I should upgrade the brakes to.

These cabs have 3 wheels and will accomodate 2 people other than the driver. We went the "restored" route thinking this is better for the local environment than buying brand new cabs.

I am thinking about redoing the front wheels so I can have them built for disc's. However I am unsure what the braking percentage, or how much load, can this front wheel achieve.

There are old foot brakes for the back. If I purchased the strongest disc brakes possible for the front and kept the rear foot brakes, would this provide ample stopping power?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Avid BB7s are probably the easiest to tweak to your own special needs. I say get the biggest rotors you can fit. IIRC, Formula or Gatorbrake made 220mm rotors at one point. There are brake splitters for BMX freestyle bikes or tandems that let you hook two brakes up to one lever.

mtbr member
    Aren't 80% of your stopping power from your front brakes anyways? If that old thing could stop with foot brakes in the back, a disk in front would without a doubt help? Sounds logical to me. Just be sure he headtube can handle that kind of stress =( Thats a big concern...

ballbuster

Sorta....

Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Aren't 80% of your stopping power from your front brakes anyways? If that old thing could stop with foot brakes in the back, a disk in front would without a doubt help? Sounds logical to me. Just be sure he headtube can handle that kind of stress =( Thats a big concern...
    With two bodies in the back seat of a pedal cab, all the weight is on the back wheels. Even with nobody back there, I would say most of the weight is back there. The thing probably weighs a couple hundred pounds with nobody on it.

Also, trying to slam on the front brake is just going to mean lost steering. I'm sure the tire would break loose long before the stress is an issue at the head tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm assuming because it's a pedicab that your braking isn't going to be long or sustained, just short slowdowns for stop signs and other obstacles. I think for this a BB7 with a giant rotor would do the job fine, just make sure your fork can take the torque.

Also, you could try to locate a linear pull brake with a longer lever. More leverage = more power.
    Last edited by General Hickey; 04-15-2011 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Great thoughts guys! I will probably go buy some BB7's for both cabs.

Thanks so much!!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body