Think once, do twice.
    Nov 2010

Brakes only rub when bike is being ridden?

Hey guys

I just put a brand new set of Hygia Elites on my 2010 Rockhopper. I installed them, then to align them I squeezed the levers while tightening the caliper bolts. When I spin the wheels in the air they work perfect...no rub or drag.

However, when I actually ride the bike, the brakes rub the rotors in a few spots. And when I get back off, they are perfect again. They only don't rub when the wheels are in the air!

help me out here, this is getting frustrating

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem. It helped to preload the drivetrain by pushing on the cranks while tightening the caliper. this works on the rear, the front is another story..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    find a nice long downhill and ride the rear brake

Binned
    Nov 2008
    If you are using quick releases, make sure they are TIGHT! Sounds like a flexing issue.

Think once, do twice.
    Nov 2010
    I thought about the quick releases, so I go those suckers as tight as I could and did it with the bike on the ground so that they would go all the way up.

I guess preloading the drivetrain could work...will try it.

I don't see how riding the brake in this state would work? School me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I used to have similiar experience. Tried everything. Even tried different skewers. No go.

Then I change fork. Yup, the previous fork is pretty flexy it seems. It's pretty good now, unless I really lean the bike down. I think if it's a TA, it should have eliminated the problem completely.

b a n n e d
    Try having a friend help you realign the caliper with you seated on the bike to load the frame and fork. Sounds like you are getting some flex somewhere as previously mentioned.

Tool
    Have you checked to make sure your wheel bearings are adjusted properly?

Neither wheel should have lateral play...they should both have some lateral flex, but zero play.

Riding your brake down a hill will do nothing but wear the pads down...a real hack way to 'adjust' brakes.

You also may be able to true the rotors a bit to reduce or eliminate the rubbing. Some people like to use a crescent (adjustable) wrench for this, some simply use their hands. If you use your hands, be sure to either not make skin to rotor contact, or clean the rotor before letting the pads contact it (skin oils will contaminate the pads). What's nice about using your hands is you can apply counter pressure to the adjacent parts of the rotor to make sure you're only affecting the area that needs to be trued.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Members who have read this thread: 0