30-ton War Machine

Which brakes for minimal dead band and big power?

So, I just put a set of Hope V2s on my Endo and I am not exactly jumping up and down with them. I like very little to zero dead-band and prefer to modulate with finger pressure on the lever, I don't want the brakes to do it for me. They have stainless braided lines and should be about as squish-free as they could be. THEY ARE NOT. I have the reach adjusted as far out as I can get it and I can still power the levers all the way to the bar without much effort and I cannot get the front to lock up for me. It is possible that a bleed is in order (they are brand new) but, I don't know for sure but, I am not jazzed about these.

My favorite brakes so far have been Stroker Grams, they have almost no dead-band and they are very very powerful for being so minimalistic. Thinking of trying some Shimano Saint or Formula The One???? Just searching.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    My favorite brakes so far have been Stroker Grams, they have almost no dead-band and they are very very powerful for being so minimalistic. Thinking of trying some Shimano Saint or Formula The One???? Just searching.....
    I currently run Saints on my DH bike and just sold my The Ones. These brakes are not so much about being minimalistic. They are pretty much the top of the line two most powerful DH brakes currently available. Assuming they are set up correctly, they might meet the two requirements listed (they definitely meet the second but I have no clue what you're talking about with the first one...). Not sure what type of a rider you are but I like both of them and have no complaints about either of them.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

30-ton War Machine
    Dead-band is the amount of take-up you have in the lever before the pads contact the rotor. I don't know if you have ever done it but, think about street-bike brakes or something like that. Very little take-up and then big power with very little further brake lever movement to increase the grab on the rotor.

mtbr member
    Well in that case, those two cover the power criteria you seek. They are designed for the lever pull to be greater thus giving the rider better control due to hand position. Adjustments (at least on the Formula) can be made to get around this though.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

≈ > ♥
    Sounds like you need a bleed.

The V2s are one of the two most powerful brakes on the market, the Saints being the other. Bleed them with the bite-point adjust all the way out. Once bled, adjust the bite-point in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    can't go wrong with saints!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCRIGID
    can't go wrong with saints!
    Except that their dead band is pretty big, if you're talking about the new ones. I love mine, bu the OP doesn't want that.

If you want a minimal dead band, don't get The Ones. I have those too, and the dead band is huge. 1st gen Saints have a very small amount of lever throw. They're not as powerful as the other things that have been mentioned, but are very good brakes.

30-ton War Machine
    These V2s are interesting beasts. They feel wimpy but, they are not. As the pads started to bed in the brakes got a LOT more grabby. They are truly 1-finger brakes. They still have a heap of dead-band and I don't like that. I will try to bleed them out and stuff as much fluid in there as I can get.
    HTAB: Thanks for the heads-up on The Ones, you saved me about 575

mtbr member
    Motorcycles can have little dead-band/free-stroke because the pads rub the rotors all the time. Same with cars.

You can set them up this way by pumping out the pistons with the rotor out, but you may get more drag and will have to do this repeatedly as the pads wear.

Or you can hunt down some Magura Gustavs.

30-ton War Machine
    Did a bleed tonight, no change. I think the design just doesn't support a pressurized bleed like I am used to with Avid products. Oh well, I will roll em a little while longer and see how they do it.
    Steve, I haven't forgot about you bro, just haven't been able to pull the cash together yet bro.
    isaac

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not sure what you want to accomplish, but check youtube or the Hope website for the brake servicing videos.

You can pump out the pistons and over fill the master cylinder...

Members who have read this thread: 0