The Green Machine
    Dec 2007

Which brakes to keep? Avid Juicy 7's VS. Avid Ultimate Custom (Specialized)

I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro SL expert that came with defective "custom" Avid Ultimate 7's. So the bike shop has sent them in for a warrenty replacement, but in the mean time to keep me riding, they put a new set of Juicy 7's on the bike.

It's my choice as whether to keep the Juicy 7's or have them replaced with Ultimates whenever Avid chooses to send a new pair. What is the difference between these brakes and which should I keep? The bike shop thinks I should stick with the 7's, he says the Ulitmates come with a one piece caliper vs. 2 piece on the 7's, but says the one piece is less stiff? He also says that because they are "custom" Ultimates they don't offer the light weight carbon bits of the standard Ultimates.

I kind of like having the external dial to control the contact point on the 7's but other than that, I'm not seeing much of a difference.

Your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Avid Ultimate 7's?

Do you mean Avid Ultimates?

If they were ultimates, I'm assuming that they would give you some cash back on the exchange?

The ultimates are about 120$ (CDN) more expensive (per set) than the Juicy 7's (quick check at chain reaction cycles)

The ultimates are lighter and aimed more at the XC racing crowd. What exactly are the 'custom' bits?

The 2008 specialized enduro sl expert was supposed to come with "Custom Avid Elixir R Carbon SL" brakes, what happened to those? (assuming that you got the US spec according to your location)